The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

4 posters

Dark Arts Interlude

Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Dark Arts Interlude - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Arts Interlude

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 pm

And a bit later:

Kerry came out of sleep slowly, feeling rested and not a little refreshed. The feeling he'd had when he'd come to the hospital--a little like someone had beat on him with a pool cue for a while--was gone. His head was clear, or as much as it should be.

Since he was facing the window he saw that it was nearly dark outside, so it had to be after 7:30 PM. Annie wasn't around; he'd half expected to find her sitting next to the bed, but she wasn't--

However, Professor Lovecraft was.

"Oh, hi, Professor," he said as he sat up slowly. "Have you seen Annie?"
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 56

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Helena had been sitting next to Kerry for only a few minutes, and was getting ready to leave when he woke up. Don't want anyone to think I'm stalking the boy, she had thought. There'll be enough rumors about me in time...

"I saw her and Nurse Coraline in the Dinning Hall," she said. "I think they were finishing dinner. I'd expect them to be around any moment now." Helena didn't mention the divot she'd seen in the blanket when she'd arrived; yes, talk about rumors getting around--

"Actually, I wanted to moment alone to speak with you, Kerry." She placed her left arm over the back of her chair so she could pivot towards him. "Has anyone spoken with you about me?"
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:18 pm

Since Professor Semplen had warned them about divulging too much of their background Kerry had been careful not to say anything about his time at The Warts. He'd been a bit blessed by the fact that, up until now, no one had actually asked him much about his background, so it made having to come up with BS a lot easier.

Shaking his head Kerry said, "No, Ma'am. Other than talking about the Dark Arts class before going, I don't remember your name ever coming up." He eyed her suspiciously. "Why? Did someone say something?"
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Not wanting to give much away, all Helena said was, "Your name came up in conversation with another student." She studied his face. No, he's not lying. She didn't think he would say anything, but given everything that had happened to her over the years--hell, over the last few weeks--it was best to be sure.

And now she was.

"It's nothing to worry about Kerry." She leaned towards him, and her smile was genuine and warm. "It was something I didn't believe."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Annie Krum Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Annie entered the hospital a few steps ahead of Coraline and made her way to Kerry’s bed. Before she got even a few steps into the room, she slowed her pace, noticing that not only had he already woken up, but also that someone was visiting with him.

The blonde-haired woman, sitting in the chair on the side of his bed, was leaning rather closely. Annie noticed that Kerry seemed a little dazed by whatever they were talking about. She decided it was best to give them privacy, and lingered at the end of an empty bed, waiting for them to finish.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Kerry nodded, seeing . . . well, there was something in Lovecraft's eyes he'd never seen before--not even earlier today when she was throwing curses his way. He knew this look wasn't directed towards him; it was like she was talking to him, but seeing something completely different--and he didn't know if that was a good thing--

"Thanks, Professor," he said. "I mean, I knew I didn't do anything, so nothing to worry about, right?"
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Helena pulled back a little; she suddenly felt she was becoming a little too intimidating. Probably one of the reasons my life is like it is; I scare the hell out of everyone.

"Kerry," she said softly, "I don't for a moment believe either you or Annie would do anything to hurt me." She chuckled. "I wouldn't have brought you here like... well, the way we got here, if I hadn't thought I could trust you both."

She was almost ready to leave when she said, "By the way, I heard what you both did in potions. Congratulations." Helena tried to keep the pride from leaking through; she wasn't certain she succeeded. "You should have hear Erywin--I mean, Professor Sladen." Shaking her head she said, "Don't be surprised if you get a little extra pushing now and then. She was quite pleased with what you did."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Kerry didn't hide his pleasure, though. Wow, we're getting talked about! he thought. "That was a lot of fun," he said. "It was a little freaky getting petrified, but still kinda cool, you know?"

He let his thoughts slip to yesterday for a moment. "I don't think Annie was real happy, though." Kerry smiled somewhat strangely, like he didn't know if what he was thinking was funny or not. "Professor Sladen sort of tricked us, too--and with your help. Did your instructors do that to you at Hogwarts? Would it have been the same with us if we'd stayed there?"
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Helena's grin was a lot less filled mirth-filled this time. "Oh, it was a lot different when I was there--Erywin, too." Her mouth twisted around as she pulled up memories. "It was just coming off the First Wizarding War; lots of confusion and chaos outside.

"Inside was pretty tough. Slytherin is a hard house, but back then--hell, the students went out of their way to haze you. And by 'haze', I mean drag you into the WC and slap the Shit out of you just to watch you cry and beg." She sat back, once more crossing her legs slowly. "Most of the instructors weren't bad, but you've had a taste of the British school system in Cardiff, so now imagine that with magic.

"I was caned a few times really good just for minor stuff. If instructors started out not liking you, chances were you're stay on their list the full 7 years." She shook her head, her eyes half closing. "It was a different time, Kerry. Hogwarts isn't much like that now." Helena looked about the room. "And Salem damn sure isn't like that. Though--" She looked up to the ceiling, her eyes searching for something, "they have their own form of... fooling with students."

She looked as if she were going to stand up and leave, then thought better of it. "I think here is where you belong, you and Annie. It'll be hard, and we--the instructors--can be right bitches to you if we want, but I think you'll learn a hell of a lot more." She nodded. "So will Annie. You're both going to do well."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Kerry was finding it surprising that Professor Lovecraft was talking the way she was. It's like she wants to talk more, but doesn't know if she should. Kerry already thought she was about to leave twice, but each time she stayed for another question. I'd love to know more about Hogwarts back then, he thought. Kerry had a feeling it was going to sound like something straight out of "Another Brick in the Wall", only with real torture.

It was only then he noticed a shadow on the floor. "Hey, who's there?" It looked to small to be Nurse Coraline, so maybe . . . "Annie?"
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Annie heard Kerry say her name and a shiver went down her spine. She hedged over to the end of his bed, not really wanting to intrude on his visitor, when she realized it was Professor Lovecraft.

“Oh, Professor,” she said. “I didn’t realize it was you.” Annie glanced over at Kerry and then back to Helena. “It’s getting late, and I’m not sure if Nurse Coraline is going to keep Kerry overnight. Maybe I should leave the two of you to your conversation and say good night now…”

Annie had no idea what it was she was saying, but it was obvious Professor Lovecraft was settled in—and she really didn’t know if Kerry was stuck in the hospital for the rest of the night. She looked down at the iron bedrail under her fingers, not sure what she should do next.
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Helena almost felt her heart break watching Annie try not to look as if she may have been eavesdropping. Oh, god... I remember that look, she thought. Always the feminine ones who'll give you their heart and soul....

"Actually, Annie--" She uncrossed her legs and slowly stood, using the back of the chair to help herself to her feet. "I only came by to see how Kerry was doing and to ask him a question." She patted Annie on the shoulder. "I stayed longer than expected, but... now he had better company."

Helena smiled back to Kerry, and then to Annie. "I'll check with Coraline; I can't see her keeping Kerry much longer." She dropped her hand to her side. "Good night, Kerry; Annie."

And with that she walked her, her heels clicking loudly in the empty wing.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:57 pm

“Good night, Professor,” Annie called after Helena. She stood at the foot of Kerry’s bed and faced him, grinning. “Did I interrupt?”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 pm

"No, not actually," Kerry said, shaking his head. "She was asking me . . . I think someone said I'd said something about her, and I hadn't, and she--" He knew how confusing that sounded. "She was checking something, is all.

"Funny thing is, thought--" Kerry patted the side of the bed next to him. "I think she wanted to talk about stuff. It was like she was gonna leave a couple of times, then stayed. I asked a little about what it was like when she went to school." He laughed as Annie sat and snuggled up next to her. "She said she was glad we're here, that we were better than being--you know where."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Annie snuggled against Kerry’s chest; feeling oddly like she had been made to fit right there. She tilted her head and nuzzled his neck with her nose, breathing deeply of his scent.

“Do you think it would have been better for the both of us if we had stayed around learning how to bake pies?” she giggled. “Somehow, I can’t picture Professor Lovecraft pie baking.”

Annie closed her eyes, listening to the steady rhythm of his heart. She thought it might be going a little fast, but she guessed it might have something to do with surviving two curses.

“It’s coming closer, isn’t it Kerry. I’m terrified about what might happen here.” She hugged him tighter, glad they made it together. Not everyone was as lucky.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm

"Oh, man . . ." Kerry had almost forgotten. Thinking about what might come it was as if Kerry was imagining a whole different world. And it was, really. It was something--else. Something he, they, shouldn't have to be concerned with.

But might.

"You know what?" He held Annie tighter, and was suddenly hit with a strange kind of deja vu, only this time he wasn't feeling something that had already happened . . . "We'll see. I want to do some reading this weekend--" He kissed the tip of her nose. "Something other than divination books!"
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Character Age : 45

Post  Coraline Gallagher Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm

At that moment there was a loud clearing of a throat, and a few seconds later Nurse Coraline stepped into view carrying a tray. "It looks like you're ready to be released," she joked. "But not until your girlfriend moves and you eat."

She set the tray at just around Kerry's knees. "Before you leave, stop by my office. I want to give you both something that will help you sleep." Before they could say anything, she told them, "You've both had a good rest, but I don't want you waking up at 1 AM because you're not longer tired--or your having nightmares."

Coraline stepped back and grinned at them both. "Enjoy." Then she left them to the silence of the floor.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Annie sat up when she heard Nurse Coraline. Her cheeks reddened at the word ‘girlfriend’, but she swung her feet over the edge of the bed and hopped into the seat Professor Lovecraft was just sitting in.

She crossed her legs, smoothing her skirt over her thighs and thanked Coraline for everything she had already done for the both of them.

As she left, and Kerry began to eat, she thought about their conversation in the dining hall. Girlfriend, she thought, letting her mind wander where it wanted. She found herself remembering the bedroom at the lake house. She grinned up at him, recalling the stubble on his face and his bedraggled hair. Oh, it's way more than that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:43 am