The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

4 posters

Dark Arts Interlude

Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 56

Dark Arts Interlude Empty Dark Arts Interlude

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 am

Though she'd only been on campus for a week Helena knew her way around, and apparating into the Hospital proved not to be an issue. She held Kerry tightly against her; despite what her students might be thinking this very moment, Helena felt badly. At least, at the moment, Kerry seemed to have shaken off most of the effects of the curse. Better to be safe, she thought.

Helena called out, "Coraline? Are you here?"
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Character Age : 45

Dark Arts Interlude Empty Re: Dark Arts Interlude

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Coraline heard her name and turned around to see Helena holding up her favorite red head. She rushed over, her heels clacking on the stone floor as she ran.

“What happened, Helena,” she asked, searching the new professors’ eyes for answers and afraid of what the reality might be. Coraline took Kerry into her arms. Propping him up against her body, she helped him onto a nearby bed. She pulled out her wand, taking a quick assessment of his condition.

“You’ll be just fine, Kerry,” she said, smoothing his hair back from his face. “Lie still and I’ll be right back.”

Coraline turned on Helena, walking swiftly past her—knowing she would follow. Once they were safely inside her office, with the door closed, she turned on the woman. “I demand an explanation,” she said, furious with what she had just witnessed.
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I knew this was coming, Helena thought. She knew Coraline was passionate about her work, and the way she'd already spoken about Annie and Kerry Helena knew she was going to be in for a right dressing down. Don't hide it; she'll become even more angry....

"I was demonstrating a Killing Curse," she said evenly, "and used one on Kerry." Her eyes never left Coraline's--and they wouldn't. Removing her potion from her coat pocket, she poured out a measure and gave it to Coraline. "I gave him this to alleviate the pain. It's something I brewed up a while back." She set it on Coraline's desk. "So you'll know what he's been given already."
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:30 pm

“I can’t understand why you would risk a student in order to make a point in your classroom.”

Coraline took the bottle and uncorked it, inhaling the aroma of the contents. “This will do nicely to heal him. I doubt he will need anything further,” she handed back the potion to Helena. “However, I insist he stay here for observation. He will, regretfully, miss the remainder of your class.”
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Helena nodded. "I knew he would, Coraline," she said. "I'm not that cold-hearted a bitch that I'm going to dock him for staying here."

As Helena left the office, she turned and said, "I'll be back as soon as I've finished with Annie." She cast her eyes down for a moment. "I'll have her here, soon." She nodded to Coraline. "I know you'll take care of him...."

And after the Dark Arts class:

Only a few moments after the Dark Arts class had finished Helena was back, this time with Annie in tow. They were no sooner in the Hospital when Helena said, "Go find him; he not far away." As Annie ran off Helena called for Coraline once more--
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Coraline was ready when Helena returned with Annie. She was expecting to see the girl a ravishing mess, but Annie was calm and alert. Coraline grinned. That’s my boy, she thought, ushering the girl toward Kerry’s bed. When Annie was out of earshot, Coraline continued.

“You will be pleased to know that Kerry is very well and as much his normal self as ever,” she grinned at the Dark Arts professor. “He has been pressing me about what happened, but I thought it best to…distract him.” She giggled, pulling her cropped lab coat closer around her slim waist. “Boys that age are easily distracted.

“I must tell you, that I am prepared to keep this incident between the two of us. What happens in your classroom is your business.

"However, should you bring me another student that you have cursed,” she stared deeply into Helena’s eyes. “I will be forced to go straight to the headmistress.

"Do we have an understanding, Professor Lovecraft?”
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Helena gave Coraline her patterned "lop sided" grin and nodded. "Of course, Coraline. I understand completely." She moved closer to Coraline, and, keeping her tone level and conversational, added, "So you are aware, when Headmistress Laventure extended the class offer to me, it was with the understanding that I have the same freedom to run my class as I saw fit, just as every other instructor has--"

She cleared her throat, as the emotions of the last few hours were catching up with her. "I'm sorry; Coraline," she said, calming down some. "Dark Arts is a hard class, and I know I'm not as... easy as your last instructor. So things are going to occur there that might not pop up in, say, charms.

"That said, there will be no more students coming to you after a cursing." She leaned in so close they were almost touching head-to-head. "Believe me, I'm not proud about today."

Helena stood up straight, pulling back from the nurse a bit. "Would you come with me? I need to extend an apology to Kerry and Annie." For the first time today Helena's smile exuded warmth. "I could use a friend."
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Coraline chuckled. "Helena," she said, peeking over her shoulder at Annie and Kerry. "They're an adorable pair of first years and you look positively downtrodden."

She put an arm around Helena's shoulders and patted her. "Annie's calm, so I'm guessing she'll be receptive to your apology. Then again," Coraline shrugged. "She's an interesting young girl--isn't she? Since the first time I met that pair..." She let the sentence trail off, leaving it unfinished.

"Well, let's get on with it. After you, Helena."
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Helena walked over toward Annie and Kerry. He was sitting up in bed, looking good, and there was Annie, next to him, calm as a pond on a windless day. He gave her a potion; probably a calming draught, she thought. Helena didn't know for sure where Kerry might have gotten his hand on one, but she had her suspicions....

"I hope you both don't mind an interruption," she said, "but I think I need to explain myself." She pulled up a chair and sat. "If you will allow me."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm

After getting another couple of slugs of whatever it was that Helena had given him, as well as a little rest, Kerry was feeling about 95% good to go. He still felt like he had a touch of disorientation, but he figured that to go away pretty soon. Maybe in time for dinner.

It helped that Annie showed up and was right by his side, more or less running to him. And when Professor Lovecraft and Nurse Coraline walked in--with the professor asking if she could speak--Kerry nodded and said, "Sure."

'Cause, really, he did want to know why someone was launching curses at him.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 pm

As soon as Nurse Coraline set her loose, Annie flew into the room and straight to Kerry’s side. Her heart soared to see him sitting up and alert. Without saying a word, she took his hand, bringing it tenderly to her lips, and kissed it.

She climbed up onto the bed, positioning herself by his side, and held his hand firmly in her lap. There is so much to say, but now is not the time. She sat silently by his side, enjoying the warmth of his body reaching out to her and the thrill she felt as her fingers interlaced with his.

As they sat, Lovecraft approached with Nurse Coraline in tow. Annie nodded her head to continue, not trusting herself to open her mouth at that moment.
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:31 pm

"First, let me say I feel horrible." Helena leaned forward, her elbows on thighs, her face darkened as if by a personal shadow. "My actions were reprehensible, I know that. I had my reasons for doing what I did, so please hear me out.

"After what has... recently happened--" Helena's over-emphases of the world "recently" was the clue that she was discussing something that, for most people, hadn't happened yet, "I've become a bit over-cautious--maybe even a little paranoid. I don't want to run into another cock-up like we had somewhere else, and so... I wanted to do something that would get a response from the students. One that would be big enough to let me size everyone in class up.

"Unfortunately, when it came to selecting someone for my demonstration--" She shook her head and sighed, but her smile was genuine, "you both are the only ones in that class I have a connection with. And you, Kerry--" Helena touched the foot of the bed. "I knew with some certainty that you would likely respond with that analytical detachment that you are losing with time, but still possess.

"And--quite frankly--I did want to see Annie's reaction to me cursing you." Her "Humph" was soft and almost inaudible. "And I saw exactly what I needed to see."

Turning to Annie Helena said, "Annie, I have heard many stories around the dinner table of your reactions in class. You're excited; you're uncertain; you're on the verge of tears; and you've passed out." Helena shook her head, but her eyes glimmered with a touch of humor. "You can't imagine how much that reminds me of someone... anyway, today I expected you to go off wildly, and I do mean out of your head insane." She scooted her chair closer towards Annie. Lowering her voice, she said, "But you showed me something I never expected: you gave me cold fury.

"Annie, I've personally seen a number of emotional responses from you, but if you could have seen your eyes... god, girl, you had that energy." Helena's eyes lit up with an understanding she didn't show to many people. "You can't command the dark arts with anger; it will eat you alive and eventually turn on you. But your fury... oh, love. That's a very different sort of bugger you got there." There was a momentary flash of a sideways grin before she added, "It's as if you knew exactly what you needed to curse my ass right back." Helena leaned back in her chair. "And I'm damned sure if you'd had your wand I would have been in a nick of trouble."

Slowly crossing her legs--something neither Annie or Kerry had seen her do before--Helena told them and Coraline, "If you can find it in your hearts to forgive me, I would welcome it. I can assure you, there won't be any surprise like that again." She placed her right hand--her wand hand--against her breast. "I swear."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Annie patiently listened to their Dark Arts professor explain why she cursed Kerry…twice. When she finished, Annie sat—astounded.

“You cursed Kerry twice because you wanted to see my reaction and you didn’t think he’d think too much of it?” She sat back in the bed, somewhat irritated that she was perfectly tranquil. Annie stared down at Kerry’s hand in her lap. “If I’d had my wand…” she said, more to herself than anyone in particular. “I don’t know what would have happened. Professor Sladen came close to finding that out…” she took a deep breath, remembering how close she came to snatching up her wand to curse their potions mistress to keep her from petrifying Kerry.

“It frightens me, Professor,” she whispered. “Before I found my wand, I used to practice the dark spells over and over at home using my father’s old books from school. I would wear myself out trying to conjure and hold the emotion and desire necessary to make it work. But now,” she squeezed Kerry’s hand, gazing across her shoulder at his perfect face. “Now it’s different. Ever since I met Kerry, something has changed. The rage has somehow managed to focus into something I have never been able to attain before—though it has only materialized when there is something threatening Kerry.”

Annie turned back to their professor. “I will forgive you, though I can’t say honestly that I will trust you. Watching you curse Kerry,” Annie stopped for a moment, feeling her pulse quicken and rapidly quiet again. “That was horrifying. I don’t think Kerry thought much of it either,” she finished, grinning at him.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 pm

The apology was sort of . . . yeah, it was a bit like getting whaled on because someone wanted to make an example, and then being told they were sorry they picked you out.

Then again, there was a certain geek thing in place as well: you were hit with a killing curse--twice!--and you lived. And Kerry knew that rep was gonna be all over school by next week.

He nodded after Annie spoke. "As long as you don't do it again, Professor," he said softly, "Apology accepted."
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Helena listened to their acceptance of her apology, nodding softly. Could have been worse, she though. They could have refused to speak with me ever again.

But she had to address that last. "Yes, Annie, it was horrifying." Helena got to her feet slowly. "And the more you get into the dark arts, you'll see things that you didn't wish you had. Or do things..." Her voice grew softer. "you wish you could take back.

"There is one thing I do want, though." She held out her hand. "I want to regain your trust. I know it'll take time, but it's something I want. Because I can see you do have the talent. I did see it in your eyes." She dropped her hand to her side, then slipped both into her duster. "I can't say I trusted my first teacher--there were something things he did..." Helena shook the memories away. "Anyway, I'll do what I can to help rebuild our trust. Know if you need anything you can see me--at any time."

Helena started to walk away, then stopped and did a half turn. "Oh, couple of things. One, both of you can turn in your assignments tomorrow before 6 PM. I think you've earned it. And Kerry--" She cleared her throat. "Before you get too big a head, I've met someone who's been hit with that same curse 4 times." She set her shoulders, her hands now deep in the duster's pockets. "And not only is he still alive, he's had children." She winked at them both, then walked away.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 am

After Professor Lovecraft walked away Kerry turned to Annie. It was funny; her demeanor was that of someone calm and collect, but in her eyes--Annie was conflicted. Kerry could see that Annie's mind was going in dozens of directions at the same time.

He squeezed her hand in a gentle, caring way. "I'm really okay," he said. "Considering everything, I'd say--this has been a great day."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Annie smiled up at him, her mind a quiet sea of conflicting thoughts. His view of the day was the polar opposite of hers—though right now she was entirely contented. She sighed and leaned her head against his shoulder.

“I guess…,” she whispered.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Kerry held Annie tight. "I want you to know, Annie--" He turned up to whisper in her ear. "Don't be mad, and don't ever leave me. I know you're going to be by me all the time, so . . . be there." And he kissed her on the cheek. "I love you, Sweetie."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Annie felt his warm lips on her cheek. Her body yearned for the unfamiliar, and Annie sat bewildered as the draught quickly subdued the sensation of the ecstasy that came with his kiss. She brought her fingers up to her cheek and smiled. That was extraordinary.

With his kiss running though her mind, Annie sat upright in the narrow hospital bed. She delicately swiveled around so she was facing Kerry; looking deeply into his eyes. “Kerry,” she breathed. “I know it is unfair of me to expect that you will understand, but do you even realize you have stolen my heart? From that first day at the bookshop, I was yours.” She felt her cheeks warm but the sensation quickly passed and she was able to continue, unashamed. “I’m here; now and forever.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 pm

His heart was beating a little quicker than before, and Kerry knew why. It was never hard to figure out why. It always seemed to beat like this around Annie--and had for a while.

"I know I can be a little slow," he said, continuing to speak in his near whisper, "but I think I've known it from . . . probably when I visited your home. And when your dad told me to look after you, I realize there was only one reason he'd say that."

He snuggled in closer, though he didn't know how much closer he could get before Nurse Coraline came round and scolded them. "Yes, I've known. I guess that even before we arrived her. For sure in with the Phoenix." He giggled and leaned his head into her shoulder. "I'm just a bit slow, like I said. Sometimes the obvious doesn't come to me right away. It hangs out and dances around, and I try to not see it, but . . . I know it's there.

"What I said at the lake I meant. Don't leave me, ever. You do things for me I didn't know I could happen. I know we'll be together; I know we'll go through things as we grow up; I know we'll fly and play together . . ." He sighed and plunged right on. "I know we're gonna marry. And, there'll be more--I know it." He kissed her again. "I know it."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Her heart soared as he spoke. But she knew that he was speaking based on her own assumptions. What if what she had seen was just a product of an overactive imagination and nothing more? She wanted him beyond anything she had ever desired before and it wasn’t fair.

As he finished, she whispered, “I should not have burdened you with that. It wasn’t fair to either of us. I am convinced our destinies marry and that should have been enough for me—for now. I pushed; I always push.

“Kerry, I will blame myself forever if there is something else you want,” Annie looked over the side of the bed at the large stone tiles on the floor. “And I kept you from having it. You should be able to explore your own path and I selfishly claimed you for my own.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Kerry couldn't believe what he was hearing. It was sorta . . . well, whack. Real whack. But then that's Annie, he thought. And that was one of the things he enjoyed; her heart was in the right place, but her mind was going in 10 different places at the same time.

"Annie," he said softly, "you're not making me do anything I don't want to do, or go somewhere I don't want to go. What makes you think I had anything going for me before I met you?

"You know--" Kerry sat up a little straighter in bed. "If I don't get made as a wizard, I end up going back to secondary school in Cardiff, and I had nothing there. Nothing but Welsh kids making fun of me for being different. And I go home and get on the computer--and that's it. I get a little more into myself, a little more depressed probably--but there's nothing else there.

"Instead I get made as a wizard; I meet you; I meet your family; I'm on my own and I go with you to . . . you know where . . . and then we end up here."

He took both her hands. "I'm doing what I want. Annie . . . that one time, on the train, outside the car, when you took off my glasses? I knew, right there, I liked you. And I knew something would happen. It was just a feeling I had.

"And since then: your mother, Professor Arrakas, those rune dreams we had . . . all of them say pretty much the same thing." Kerry swung his arm up and around Annie and pulled her in across his body, bending her so she was lying almost on her back across him, look up. "Sweetie," he whispered, "This is where I want to be." He hugged her in tight. "I'm doing magic, I have a good girl--I'm happy.

"I'm right where I want to be."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

She could hardly believe what he was saying. Most of it seemed surreal, almost as if he were describing a whole other person. She saw how he was with Raven during charms and with Lina before the horrors of Dark Arts. It was hard to imagine Kerry anything but popular and utterly charming.

She hugged him fiercely, never wanting to let go. “I love you, Kerry,” she whispered into his neck. “And I am right where I belong.

"But I promise that I won't be selfish." She giggled, snuggling closer, and closed her eyes--at peace for the first time that day.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 pm

He traced a finger line down Annie's nose and across her lips. "I love you too, Annie." He held her while she curled up into him. "You have to admit: if the first week at school is this interesting, imagine what the whole year is gonna be like?"

He looked out the high windows at the still-bright western sky. What is the rest of the school year gonna bring? he wondered. He realized that he didn't care.

No matter what, no matter how bad things might become around them, inside it was all gonna be so very good . . ..
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:08 am

Around 6:30 PM

Coraline was about to head back to the Instructor's Residence and get something to eat and some new gossip, so she did a last walk-through before going. There weren't but two patents--Kerry and another boy who'd fallen off a broom--so it would be a rather quiet look--

She went up to the 3rd Floor to check on her wounded flying--another "casualty" of Victoria's quidditch program, he'd arrived with a broken arm that was mending nicely and would be fully healed by tomorrow's breakfast.

Now back down to the 2nd Floor... And there was Kerry, sleeping. That didn't surprise Coraline; the stuff she's given him was brewed to relax and slowly mend, then knock the person out for a few hours while the last of any healing went about its business.

And there next to him, curled up, her head on his shoulder, was Annie, snoozing away, too.

Ah, these two. Coraline smile beamed across Kerry's bed, and she was glad neither could see her. Brings back so many memories. She moved alongside the bed. I wonder how long before this scene becomes common?

Leaning over she gently shook Annie awake. The girl said something in Bulgarian as she opened her eyes. "Annie, come on." Coraline flashed one of her brightest smiles. "Dinning Hall closes in an hour; let get something to eat." When Annie cast her eyes upon Kerry's sleeping form, Coraline added, "He's out for another hour and a half, at least." She held Annie's hand as the girl slid off the bed. "We'll have the elves send up a plate so he can eat before I discharge him...."

Coraline walked a half step behind Annie. They got through this today in one piece, she thought, so tomorrow's dueling should be a breeze! Coraline wondered how many more times she'd take this walk with Annie. Not that I mind, she thought, but if we're going to have dinner, I would like it with them both--

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 am