The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

5 posters

Cloudy Days and Dark Potions

Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Cloudy Days and Dark Potions - Page 2 Empty Re: Cloudy Days and Dark Potions

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:54 pm

"I already gathered that," Kerry said. He remembered how happy both Lovecraft and Sladen had looked at the Madness two weeks back--and the rumors swirling around that after the Hogwarts expedition they were now more than "just friends" . . ..

This, though: it was a horror show. It was hard to watch someone--both of them, really--in pain. The dark arts ain't some cartoon crap, he thought. This his real hard magic. And when Professor Lovecraft, in the first class, had talked about it affecting you--yeah, he could believe that now.

"I don't think we'll do each other, Annie." He moved his chair closer. "I don't think we'll ever have to do this to each other. But it's something to remember."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

She took his hand, flipping it over and stroked the inside of his wrist with her fingers. "I'd rather die myself first," she whispered. She knew it was all good and well to act brave when there was no threat of danger but she didn't care. At that moment...it was true.
    Anna Krolence
    Anna Krolence
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Anna Krolence Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 pm

As much as the entire "practical demonstration" had disgusted her--the last thing she wanted to see was two women hugging and crying over each other--the idea they'd get to learn how to make the Draught of Submission pleased Anna greatly.

Even since arriving at this school from Kansas she'd wanted to get deeper into the Dark Arts. She was so sorry to have missed the first class with that Kerry--who, in order to be as good with advanced spells as he was, either had one of the instructors torturing him on the side, or he wasn't the muggle born her claimed to be--getting zapped with killing curses, 'cause having the ability to not kill someone with a killing curse... that was something Anna wanted to know.

She didn't like the way Lovecraft had dismissed Ella. Poor girl. For an witch adopted into a muggle family did wasn't that bad, but sometimes her mind ran off in strange directions. She'd shown Anna a paper that made all sorts of wild claims about her lineage, and the stories about her trying to bluff her way into the library's restricted section were pretty well known in their tower.

Still, she's a friend, Anna thought. Even if she is a bit of a crazy witch, she's still very personable. She chuckled, thinking it was too bad she didn't get a chance to scratch the hell out of that Krum brat. Again with her... boyfriend knowing an advanced spell. I have to find out who's teaching him on the side, she thought. I can use that sort of tutoring.

She checked the clock on the wall, hoping the 20 minutes they had for break was almost up, 'cause she was ready to brew--
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 56

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 pm

At nearly 20 minutes on the nose Helena emerged from the back rooms, follow by Erywin, who was once more wearing her pointy witch's hat. Clapping her hands twice, she brought the class' focus back to her.

"As you may have noticed, this class is not for the faint of heart." Her demeanor was like that at the beginning of class: calm and in control. "What you learn in her will change you, like it or not. Whether it's for the best or worse also remains to be seen."

She folded her hands before her and surveyed the class. "Transfiguration performs as advertised, as does potions; charms allow you to do useful things..." Helena's voice turned low and serious. "The dark arts twist; they damage; they can destroy. The trick with the dark arts is not to control them--it's to never allow them to control you." She glanced to Erywin, who returned a very warm smile. "And for those who not only allow the control, but cherish it..." Helena retried her wand from her blouse sleeve and began tapping it against her palm. "We know how to deal with them.

"And now that we have that out of the way..." She waved her wand and the information for the potion appeared on a blackboard. "Included here are the ingredients and the instructions for brewing. Professor Sladen has asked to stay and help where she can--" Helena chuckled. "I believe she's afraid some of you will damage valuable school property...."

Helena began explaining how to put the potion together, and when she was 2/3rd of the way through the instructions, her voice became louder to make an important point. "Unlike most potion making this will require the used of you wand, here--" She tapped the board. "For this is the real essence of a dark potion: the wizard or witch's desire." Helena stepped closer to the front row. "The dark arts are all about desire. The desire to control--the desire to manipulate... the desire to destroy.

"When you dip your wand into this mixture and say this phrase, you are putting yourself into that potion. That which makes you magical is infused into your concoction, and if you mix this correctly--and it is then imbibed by another... you are inside that person." Helena nodded slowly, allowing her statement to be absorbed. "You are the one in control.

"When you are ready for that step inform either myself or Professor Sladen. You will then retrieve your wand, preform the necessary step, and then continue with brewing while your wand is returned to storage. I don't need to tell you what sort of... intent you will draw upon when you do this step." Helena smirked. "If you are thinking of puppies and cuddly kitty when you do this, I can assure you--the potion will be a failure."

She looked around the room. "Review the instructions and gather all your ingreedences. Scales and measuring cups are over here--" She pointed to the east side of the classroom, "and we will assist where necessary.

"And just so you know--" Looking around the room Helena knew they all knew what was coming next. "We will test this potion in class. I will pair you up with someone..." She tried not to look at any two people in particular. "I'll avoid putting you with people you may have difficulty ordering about--or worse."

As the students began to move, Helena raised her voice and said, "One last thing! Once this potion is tested it will be destroyed--even those that do not work. As I stated in the first class, all dark arts will be performed in this building and no where else." She raised a finger and pointed it at the class as a whole. "If I hear of anyone mixing this potion up outside of class, you'll spend a month scrubbing the walls of the house dungeon. And should you do something as foolish as use a working version of potion on anyone outside this class..." She snapped her hand shut into a fist. "Your ass will belong to me. And that is somewhere you do not want to be."

She looked around one last time, then softened and smile. "No questions? Good. Lets get started!"
    Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 56

Post  Helena Lovecraft Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Listen up, my little dark witches and wizards! Here are the instructions for making your first dark potion. If you have questions, ask in class.

Ingredients for Draught of Submission:

Arnica 300 grams
    Sopophorous Bean juice of 2
    Dandelion 150 grams
    Henbane 400 grams
    Bloodroot extract.1 liter
    Hillwick extract .25 liter
    Room temperature spring water .5 liter
    Syrup of Hellebore .25 liter
    Dragon’s Blood 3 drops

Directions:

Pour all spring water into cauldron. Lightly sprinkle dandelion into water, stirring briskly in clockwise motion, for 1 minute.

Once dandelion is stirred in, put cauldron on the fire. Bring water to a boil and hold for 2 minutes. Reduce fire and simmer for 2 minutes. (Make Roll Here)

Mix in henbane in 100 gram units, stirring in a normal pace in counterclockwise motion, until each unit of henbane has dissolved (approximately 1 minute per unit). Potion should turn a soft yellow color after all henbane is introduced to mixture. (Make Roll Here)

Bring mixture to a vigorous boil; after boiling for 1 minute introduce dragon’s blood. Continue boil for 7 minutes.

Add juice of sopophorous beans and syrup of hellebore. Stir at a normal pace in a clockwise fashion for 2 minutes then reduce to a simmer. Hold at simmer for 10 minutes. (Make Roll Here)

Add arnica in 50 gram units, stirring in a normal pace in clockwise motion, until each unit of arnica has dissolved (approximately 30 seconds per unit). Simmer for 3 minutes then remove from fire. (Make Roll Here) Allow for 20 minutes off fire. Mixture should be a light blue color after 20 minutes is up.

(Wand is needed for this step!) Add bloodroot extract to mixture, stirring slowly in counterclockwise motion for 90 seconds. Allow mixture to come to rest, then dip tip of wand into mixture and perform incantation, “Hoc erti tibi”. (Make Roll Here) Mixture should turn a semi-clear with a bluish tint. NOTE: should mixture turn pure black it has become poisonous and should be disposed off immediately.

Return mixture to fire and bring to slow simmer. Add hillwick extract to mixture and give it a vigorous counterclockwise stir for 15 seconds. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from fire and cool to room temperature. Semi-clear appearance with bluish tint should remain. (Make Roll Here)

Bottle and notify instructor. Prepare to test.

Approximate brewing time: 90 to 100 minutes

OOC Stuff:

When the instructions say "Make Roll Here" you make your roll after all role playing has occurred for those steps leading up to your roll. I don't need to explain; you know what to do.

As with all potions there is a point total that you will need to roll to make a successful potion. There are some modifiers that will come into play during rolling:

Should you roll at 1 at any point, stop and allow Emma to describe what's happened. It will likely be something bad. A 1 also deducts 30 points from your total.

A 2, 3, 4, or 5 rolled will deduct 10 points from you total.

A 90, 91, 92, 93, or 94 will add 10 points to your total.

A 95, 96, 97, or 98 will add 20 points to your total.

A 99 will add 25 points to your total and allow you a D20 modifier to all subsequent rolls.

Should you roll at 100 at any point, stop and allow Emma to describe what's happened. It will likely be something very good. A 100 also adds 100 points to your total.

Additional modifiers will be handed out on a person-by-person basis as determined by the instructor. Don't beg because I don't listen.

Got it? Good. Get to it.

End of OOC.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:07 pm