The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

3 posters

A trip...alone.

Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 25

A trip...alone. Empty A trip...alone.

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Annie and Kerry neared the end of the path leading up to Memory’s end. She stopped, not wanting to step out onto the manicured lawns of the buildings just yet, and pulled Kerry behind a nearby clump of mature basswood trees. The dull gold leaves littered the forest floor and crunched under their feet as they walked.

She leaned up against one of the massive trees and stared down at the leaves under her feet, unsure how to say what was on her mind. After a few minutes of awkward silence, Annie mumbled, “Kerry, I want to visit Denna…alone.”
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

A trip...alone. Empty Re: A trip...alone.

Post  Kerry Malibey Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Kerry hadn't thought about coming to Memroy's End; after visiting the Astronomy Towers and seeing about 'scopes (yes, they'd be able to pay upon delivery) he's walked her here in silence. All Kerry knew was that Annie wanted to see Deanna, and after that they'd visit the Bastion and see about brooms.

Noticing the look in her eye Kerry figured whatever she wanted to speak with Deanna about, it was important, it had to do with her visions--and probably dealt with him as well. She wants to visit in private, and private means . . . girl things.

And Kerry wasn't ready to sit in on that conversation yet.

"Okay, Sweetie," he said, nodding. He gave her a soft kiss on the lips and told her, "I'll wait for you at the Bastion. If nothing else I can bore Professor Salomon by making her tell me everything about every broom."

He kissed her again. "Hey, don't worry." He squeezed her arm, but in a tender, "I care for you" way. "I understand. I'll see you when you're done." He turned slowly and made his way towards the flying school, the few leaves crunching underfoot.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:12 pm

She watched as Kerry made his way back to the flight pitch; remaining until the sound of his footsteps vanished. With him not there, Annie felt empty. She seriously considered abandoning the entire plan and chasing after him before her better judgment convinced her that what she was about to do was necessary for her sanity…and probably his.

A few moments later, her heart and mind wandering back down the path with Kerry, she emerged from the trees and made her way toward Memory’s End. Knocking softly, she waited for whatever would come next.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 39

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Denna knew who was at the door before she heard the knock. She placed the well worn book between several large colorful pillows arranged as comfortable seating on the floor.

When she opened the door, Annie’s deep rose aura spoke volumes—even if the girl herself was silent. She smiled widely. “Welcome Annie,’ she said, ushering her inside. “I’m so very happy to see you again so soon.”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Annie stepped inside the overly warm room; the scent of musk hung heavy in the air. She shrugged out of her jacket and slung it over her arm, smiling at the divination professor. She couldn’t help but notice the professors silky jet black hair hanging over her shoulders.

“Good morning, Professor,” she said. “I’m very happy to see you again too. I hope you don’t mind my barging in on you, but I needed someone to talk to. Someone who won’t think I’m crazy or will tell me what I’m going through is all in my imagination.” Annie felt too warm and once again, thought about leaving to catch up to Kerry.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Denna put her arm around Annie’s shoulders, guiding her toward the arrangement of pillows on the floor. “Dear Annie,” she said, squeezing her arm gently with her hand, “You are not crazy, darling.”

Once they were both seated comfortably, Denna asked, “What can I help you with today, Miss Krum?”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Annie thought about the question Professor Arrakis asked. There was really only one thing she was worried about so she blurted it out.

“I have been doubting a few things this past week—mostly I have been convinced that I selfishly altered Kerry’s future because I couldn’t resist him and now I’m not sure if Kerry is actually making the right choice because this is something he wants or if I have selfishly pushed him into something that he doesn’t understand yet and I have ruined his future forever.”

She realized that she was rambling; she couldn’t help it. There were so many things to say, but her tongue suddenly felt like it was made of lead.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Denna guessed Annie might be struggling with young love. One who starts out so passionate is bound to run into a few problems.

She picked up the worn text between them and handed it to Annie. “This is the i-ching. It is known as the Book of Changes. It is not important that you understand its purpose or function yet. If you choose my classes during your third year, you will become quite proficient at using it. For now, you must rely on my experience.

“Relax and think about your question. Once you can see your problem clearly in your mind, open the book and choose three random pages.”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Annie held the book, running her fingers gently over the spine. She closed her eyes and thought about Kerry. She saw him, standing on the stairs leading down from the hospital wing.

"You've seen stuff from years away," he said, speaking softly. You've seen us kinda grown up--and, you know . . ." He shrugged as if that would convey the word he was trying to get across.

"It's gotta be hard, because you're already thinking and feeling things that aren't gonna happen until you're like 16 or 17." He paused, his voice silent for the moment. "And I haven't seen it or felt it. So it's like, you are already ahead of me as far as maturity goes." He stopped and turned Annie so they face to face. "I'm still 11, while you're kinda 16 in the body of an 11 year old girl."

Shrugging, Kerry turned and continued on towards the Dinner Hall entrance, Annie's hand still in his. "Not that it matters; these days it's cool to have an older girlfriend."

She remembered her reaction, as she stared back at him—dumbfounded. Their walk back to the dining hall was excruciating—her injured heart, torn out and stomped on.

She gazed down at the book in her lap and carefully opened it. She flipped through the pages, which gave off a slightly moldy aroma. The first thing she selected was titled Shih/The Army. She continued and her fingers paused again at Hsiao Ch'u / The Taming Power of the Small. The words on the last page she chose read Chun / Difficulty at the Beginning.

When she finished, she handed the book back to Denna.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Denna saw the pain on Annie’s face as she took the book back. “Tell me, child. What is it that troubles you the most?”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 pm

The emotions besieged Annie as fat tears rolled down her cheeks. “I have ruined his hopes at a normal future,” she sniffed, wiping her face with her sleeve. “I don’t deserve him, Professor. It wasn’t fair of me to take him.”
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 pm

“We will now look and see if what you feel is correct.” Denna leaned forward and smoothed Annie’s hair. “Remember Annie, truth is always straightforward and direct.

“It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes... we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions - especially selfish ones.”

She leaned back and smiled. “That said, I don’t think either one of you has been particularly selfish. Perspective gives one a different view, Annie. I can see that Kerry is very content and aware of his choice to be with you.”

She opened the book to the first page Annie picked. “The first passage is relative to the past. Shih symbolizes the ground water stored up in the earth. In the same way, military strength is stored up in the mass of the people--invisible in times of peace but always ready for use as a source of power—danger inside and obedience must prevail outside.

“It represents not the ruler but the efficient general, who maintains obedience in the army by his authority. The army needs perseverance and a strong man—a strong will. Without strict discipline, nothing can be accomplished, but this discipline must not be achieved by force.

“It requires a strong man who captures the hearts of the people and awakens their enthusiasm. In order that he may develop his abilities, he needs the complete confidence of his ruler, who must entrust him with full responsibility as long as the war lasts.

“However, war is always a dangerous thing and brings with it destruction and devastation. Therefore, it should not be resorted to rashly but, like a poisonous drug, should be used as a last recourse.

Denna paused for a moment. “This is where Kerry has come from and entered your life, Annie.”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Annie tried to follow along, but the instant Professor Arrakis started talking, she felt lost. The only thing that kept playing repeatedly in her mind was ‘I can see that Kerry is very content and aware of his choice to be with you.’

When Denna finished, Annie spoke up. “Excuse me, professor, but I don’t know what any of that means.”
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:06 pm

“Have you asked Kerry about his life before you met him, Annie?” Denna watched as a trickle of a memory floated across the girls face. “Ah, I can see that he has told you something…but you didn’t believe.

“It is all right here, and will make more sense to you as the journey with him continues. I urge you to ask him more about his past in order to make more sense of your shared future.”

Denna turned the book to the second page Annie chose. “This selection refers to your present. Hsiao Ch'u means the force of the small--the power of the shadowy--that restrains, tames, impedes.

“It is the wind blowing across the sky. The wind restrains the clouds, the rising breath of the Creative, and makes them grow dense, but as yet is not strong enough to turn them to rain.

“Hsiao Ch’u presents a configuration of circumstances in which a strong element is temporarily held in leash by a weak element. It is only through gentleness that this can have a successful outcome. The moment for action on a large scale has not yet arrived.

“The wind can indeed drive the clouds together in the sky; yet, being nothing but air, without solid body, it does not produce great or lasting effects. So also an individual, in times when he can produce no great effect in the outer world, can do nothing except refine the expression of his nature in small ways.

“One would like to press forward, but before going farther one sees from the example of others like oneself that this way is blocked. In such a case, if the effort to push forward is not in harmony with the time, a reasonable and resolute man will not expose himself to a personal rebuff, but will retreat with others of like mind. This brings good fortune, because he does not needlessly jeopardize himself.

“Loyalty leads to firm ties because it means that each partner complements the other. In the weaker person, loyalty consists in devotion; in the stronger, it consists in trustworthiness. The female principle, the weak element that has won the victory, should never persist in vaunting it--that would lead to danger.

"One must be content with what has been achieved. To advance any further, before the appropriate time has come, would lead to misfortune.”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Annie was having a hard time keeping up. If her hunch was right, Denna just confirmed everything Annie was hoping for, and her heart soared. A small smile played along her lips as Annie held her breath waiting for Deanna to reveal the last page.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Denna noticed Annie soften a bit. Yes, this reading is going just as planned, she thought. Annie’s mind was coming to terms with the idea that what had already come to pass was exactly how it should be.

“The last passage pertains to your future, Annie. Chun really connotes a blade of grass pushing against an obstacle as it sprouts out of the earth--hence the meaning, ‘difficulty at the beginning.’

“It indicates the way in which heaven and earth bring forth individual beings. It is their first… meeting, which can bring about the most difficulties.”

Denna paused. “Annie…have you seen something you would like to share with me?”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Annie felt her cheeks flush a deep red. She was not expecting Denna to come out and ask her about the vision that had caused so much confusion for her in the week since she had it…right here, in this very room.

“Uhm,” she said, playing with a tassel on one of the brightly colored pillows underneath her. “I was going to mention it. When I was here last week, with Kerry, I saw something—unexpected.”

Annie recalled her vision for Denna.

It was early morning; shadows still lingered in the cozy bedroom she shared with Kerry. Silently, she moved, the linen sheet falling from her body as she rolled over. He was asleep…his bare chest, rising and falling steadily with each breath.

Being careful not to disturb him, Annie slipped out of their warm bed, sneaking outside to the call of the lake that lies beside the house. She knows this lake all too well and she runs to it like a child to her father.

Kerry awakens to find Annie’s side of the bed cold and empty. He smiles, knowing already where she has disappeared to, and rises to go to her.

He stands on the sand for a moment, watching her. “Good morning, Mrs. Malibey.”

Annie swims toward the sound of his husky voice. She emerges from the lake, wrapping her arms delicately around his neck.

“Good morning, Mr. Malibey.”

By the time she finished, she was sweating. Her cheeks on fire, but she resolved to finish.
    “Since then, I’ve seen other things that I missed the first time. His ring, stubble on his face, the sun glinting off his messy hair…” She wiped the sweat from her brow.

“I also have a lot of trouble not seeing him that way sometimes. I look at him and see the future him—not the present him. I’m humiliated to say that I want what I saw at the lake in a way I don’t exactly understand.”
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Denna felt there was something else Annie was hiding. “Come now,” she whispered. “You’ve journeyed this far. Do not stop now, Child.”
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Annie looked up and met Denna’s gaze. She decided there was not anything left to hide so she rooted in her jacket pocket until she found the slip of paper she began writing in Dark Arts.

Did he appear, because I fell asleep thinking of him?
      If only I'd known I was dreaming… I'd never have wakened.

It was dark. The forest yielded to it; the lake, overtaken by it. The tree was the only thing acknowledging its presence. Flaming red leaves stood defiant against the night.

In the house, he peacefully dreamt about happy times. She settled in the branches of the tree, waiting for the storm within to pass.

A quarrel.
      On such a night as this
      When no moon lights your way to me,

I wake, my passion blazing,
      My breast a fire raging, exploding flame
      While within me, my heart chars.

By now, Annie’s tears were flowing freely. “I wrote it after a dream I had, the night after our conversation on the steps of the hospital wing…and I’m positive it is the beginning to the dream I shared with you after sleeping with the Rune stone under my pillow,” she sobbed. “If he stays with me…” Annie could not continue. Overcome with heartache, she collapsed to the floor and wept.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Denna felt it was important to let Annie shed her tears. She stood and crossed the room, opening a small upper drawer of a built in cabinet on the east wall of the room. Removing a small leather pouch, she returned to Annie and gently placed her head on her lap.

Pulling the girls long hair back away from her tear-stained face, Denna said, “A thunderstorm brings release from tension, and all things breathe freely again.”

She helped Annie sit back up and offered her a tissue. “There now, I think that’s done you a world of good.” She pressed the leather pouch into Annie’s hand and smiled.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Annie opened the small pouch and turned out the contents into her palm. A silver necklace tumbled out into her palm. Attached to it was a perfectly flat and round blue stone. She ran her fingers over the rock, admiring the matte finish.

“What is this, professor?” She looked up at Denna, puzzled by the curious gift.
    Deanna Arrakis
    Deanna Arrakis
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Deanna Arrakis Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Denna took the necklace and placed it around Annie’s neck. The long chain disappeared down her blouse, where the stone dangled just above her heart.

“This stone is called Celestite. The serenity and tranquility of the azure sky in its pale blue color can evoke a calming effect on our spirit and soul.

“Whenever our peace of mind is clouded by complicated emotions, anxiety or fear, this crystal can purge it of negative feelings, leaving a sense of contentment.”

Denna held Annie’s shoulders in both of her hands. “Kerry belongs with you, Annie. You should not feel guilty. I do believe if you were to tell that boy he would die a horrific death, at seven o’clock in the morning, on his twenty-first birthday if he were to stay with you, he would choose to stay.”

She stood and helped Annie to her feet. “The time has come for you to depart, Annie. Keep your mind calm and trust in Kerry.” She held out Annie’s jacket and walked her to the door. “Be sure you follow the same path you took to get here with Kerry back.” She grinned and gave Annie a hug.

“Please visit me again, soon,” she whispered. She let go and opened the door, letting in the cool September air.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Annie felt the breeze rush in and wash over her. She shivered and shrugged into her jacket. “Thank you, Professor,” she said, and stepped outside into the overcast fall day.

She quickly made her way back across the manicured lawn, careful to take the same path back, and hurried to catch Kerry at the Bastion.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:26 am