The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

+3
Kerry Malibey
Ella Farrell
Helena Lovecraft
7 posters

Today's Assignment

Helena Lovecraft
    Helena Lovecraft
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 56

Today's Assignment Empty Today's Assignment

Post  Helena Lovecraft Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 am

All papers will be posted below in this thread. You will have until this Saturday (real time), by 6 PM your local time, to complete the assignment. After the above date and time pass, this thread will be locked and work will be given an incomplete.
    Ella Farrell
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Today's Assignment Empty Re: Today's Assignment

Post  Ella Farrell Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 am

1)
    What do I not expect to learn from this class should be the question. I expect will shall learn the uncontrollable means of Dark Magic and the forces behind it. We will probably also learn of many dark wizards and witches, and most importantly, their means. We will learn the history and creation of Dark Magic, along with beginning to understand it and control it.

2)
    Honestly, I have no idea how the Dark Arts will do good for me. I may become a teacher or a book writer (about this). I will have to wait and see how everything turns out. I am told my merciless and inauspicious wand tends to like this subject best, seeing that Alder wood isn't exactly favored/favoured. I am not afraid of learning what isn't advised to be learned. I see that Dark Magic may benefit me in the art of self-defense/defence. I believe that when fighting against a dark wizard, it is perfectly okay to use Dark Magic in order to protect yourself. Someone else may refer to this as "fighting fire with fire," but I never believed in that phrase one hundred percent anyway.

3)
    My true interest in Dark Magic is different then many others. Not for money, for power, fame, fear, or respect. But instead it is with good reverence. Not all who mess along with the Dark Arts ends up too terribly. (As you have shown us that not everyone ends up bad.) It is true, I believe, that one does not come out of these Arts unscarred. Once you've jumped off the cliff, it is near impossible to climb back up it. I am the person to always be teetering on the edge, waiting for a shove. I hope, though, before I am pushed off the end, I am able to control the Dark Magic that all wizards and witches can do.

Isobella
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Post  Kerry Malibey Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am

1. Being new to this whole wizarding thing, I want to learn everything. As stated in class, the dark arts are but another branch of magic to be explored and examined. I want to explore them. I want to see what they are and how they work.

Personally, by not learning them, we do ourselves a great injustice. The old saying is "Knowledge is Power" and the more we learn, the more we powerful (in a personal sense) we become. And I want to become powerful--only not in a Darth Vadar-like way, but more like "Be the best you can be" way.

2. Just now getting more of an idea about what really goes on this wizarding world, and from everything I've heard, the dark arts seem to be something that a well-rounded wizard needs to get by. Sure, they are scary, but everything truly interesting is often very scary.

I heard someone say the dark arts could be used to defend against animal attacks, but that's just crazy. I, personally, don't expect to use them to stop rabbit attacks (though there are some very deadly rabbits, especially in England), but that doesn't mean I won't be able to use some of what makes the dark arts work in other areas of magic.

3. To be honest I don't know. I suppose there is a strange attraction to anything that seemed "bad" at play, and that's normal, I suppose. I know that I don't want to get into them simply because the dark arts are sweetly seductive and they'll pull me in and make we want to go out and make everyone do what I want them to do--at which point I'll be found standing in a black outfit screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!" and take my place in the annals of bad acting.

I want to learn. That's all. I want to see what they do. That's it. I promise I won't go all dark side and terrorize the world. I only want to see what makes the dark arts what they are, and how they can be used.

OOC--Total (without numbers): 344 words.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Annie Krum
    Dark Arts Assignment

1. What do you expect to learn in this class?
    The Dark Arts are countless, wide-ranging, ever changing, and timeless. Therefore, when battling against such a force, you are fighting that which is unpredictable, volatile, and unyielding. I expect to learn from this class, defensive magic and dark spells (including potions), anti-curses and simple spells to disable or disarm attackers or fight off certain creatures, along with the discipline needed to execute both defensive and dark spells successfully. I also expect we will learn more about those dark witches and wizards, known to practice the Dark Arts and the laws that govern the use of Dark Magic within our society.

2. Why do you think knowledge of the Dark Arts will benefit you?
    I believe learning the correct way to harness the power needed behind such spells is important for my personal future. Dark Arts defensive spells are important to learn in order to defend against attack, whereas actual curses are important to learn for protection. I am not pleased by that fact; however, magic is rarely performed without some element of risk or danger. For instance, in dueling, there are any number of spells that may be used to attack, immobilize, or disarm an opponent without causing pain or lasting harm; however, spells such as the Cruciatus Curse or Sectumsempra, are judged to be Dark by reliable authorities, because these spells wound or seriously distress a victim in some way.

3. What is your true interest in the Dark Arts?
    My true interest in the Dark Arts lies in learning more about who I am (and what I am capable of doing) with relation to this particular area of magic. I also would not mind exploring whom it is I may turn out to be. Right now, I am frightened of the possibility that exists, foreseeing my future turning into something I do not want. Being hands-on in my approach to Dark Magic makes sense. It gives me the ability—or perhaps it is just the illusion, to control something that, presently, I cannot.

(OOC: Word count=312)
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Evangelina Cromwell
    Defense Against the Dark Arts
    Assignment 1

1. What do you expect to learn in this class?

By the end of my final year at the Salem Witches’ Institute, I expect to have a full and complete understanding of the Dark Arts and why it is important to know about the subject, even if I, and my fellow peers, live within the light. However, as of right now, I have a different expectation. During my first year, I expect to learn and form a basic understanding of the Dark Arts, as well as basic defensive techniques to block spells, charms, curses, hexes, and jinxes casted by other wizards and witches, counteract the Dark Arts, and learn to protect myself, and others, from dark magical beasts and creatures. I mostly would like to successfully defend others and myself from attacks involving Dark Magic, however, I am interested in other things as well. Along with learning the basics, I would like to learn how and have better understand the reasons why many succumb to the Art and become Dark witches and wizards. I would also like to learn the warning signs of a potential Dark witch or wizard and learn how to reverse their reasons to succumb to the Dark Arts. Most importantly, I expect to learn as much as I possibly can about the Dark Arts to pass my OWLs.

2. Why do you think a knowledge of the Dark Arts will benefit you?
    Knowledge of the Dark Arts will benefit me in almost every subject that is taught here at SWI. Just about everything from Arithmancy to Transfiguration can be tied to the Dark Arts. An example would be if a Dark witch or wizard decided to attack someone or myself, I would know how to defend against their attack and, eventually, disarm them. My true passion is in dueling and potion making, which I’m constantly reminded are usually tied to the Dark Arts. I truly believe that if I wish to exceed in these subjects, I would first have to know about Dark Arts and use that to my advantage.

3. What is your true interest in the Dark Arts?
    I never thought I'd go anywhere near the Dark Arts, but then I started thinking ‘what would I do if I’m ever attacked,’ and that changed things. I still don't have a lot knowledge about the Dark Arts and there is only so much a book can tell me, but until I try, I would never know. I find the Dark Arts a bit more versatile, and not everything is black and white; it depends mostly on your personality and how you want to handle things.

As I had mentioned before, my true passion is dueling and potion making, which are usually tied into the Dark Arts. This passion of mine was with me ever since I was younger and I know that this passion of mine will be with me for the rest of my life. I do believe that this portion of the Dark Arts has its consequences, but that is a risk I’m willing to take.

(OOC: 479 words [not including the questions])
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:29 am

Raven Whitefeather
    Coven of Ceridwen
    Defense Against the Dark Arts
    Professor Lovecraft

1. To be completely honest, I expected to learn how to defend myself against the Dark Arts and that’s it. However, after today’s lesson, I learned that that’s not all we will be learning about in this class. I am interested in learning more about the Dark Arts in general, and I promise to keep an open mind while learning this subject.

2. Having some sort of knowledge of the Dark Arts will benefit me in many ways; however, just because I have knowledge of the subject doesn’t necessarily mean that it will benefit me. For example, I know a LOT about Quiddich, in fact, I’ve read almost every book and article about Quiddich out there, I know the rules and how to play the game, and I can even tell you who are on 12 world cup teams and their positions, but until I can get the chance to practice and actually play the game, I’m not going to be very good at it and all of my knowledge won’t help me one bit. What I’m really trying to say is that you can have vast knowledge of something, but actually doing it is a different story.

3. To put it bluntly, before today I really wasn’t interested in this class, nor was I interested in learning about the Dark Arts in general. I have to admit; today’s lesson was a bit of an eye opener. I didn’t know that it was possible to not kill someone after you hit them with the Killing curse, and I didn’t know that you actually have to have some sort of intent to actually harm someone, not that I want to hurt someone on purpose. There’s so much about the Dark Arts that I was only told, but I am interested to find out about the subject by my own means.

<<ooc- word count: 306. I tried to get it 300 exactly, but she's being an over achiever by adding in those 6 extra words ;) >>
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

1.As explained in class, I am to learn about the Dark Arts. From what I know so far about them, they include spells that cause some manner of harm on their targets. Today, we learned about Avada Kedavara, a spell that kills. It can also kill someone slowly over a period of time. Spells of this nature are dangerous, so I expect that we will learn them in a way that will cause the least amount of harm. Also as explained in class, I believe we will be learning the ways to defend ourselves from the Dark Arts from what we learn about them.

2. Before I learned about being a wizard, I learned that there are people in the world that will hurt others because they think they can get away with it. Sometimes they do. It is probably worse when wizards and witches are like that because they will use the Dark Arts. Because I do not know a lot about the Dark Arts, I might not even know what they might use against me until I am already hurt, or worse. Learning about the things bad people like that might use on me will help me figure out how to stop them. That is one way knowing about the Dark Arts will help me, but it will also help me if I ever have to use them for some reason.

3. I really want to protect myself. I used to get bullied in elementary school, so I am afraid of being bullied at this school. I also want to be able to prevent others from hurting each other with the Dark Arts if I have to. I really do not like it when people fight. If emotions are the reason and the method for which the Dark Arts are used, people that lose control need to be stopped before they can cause harm.

OOC: 309 words

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 pm