The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

4 posters

Playing Games with Friends

Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Playing Games with Friends Empty Playing Games with Friends

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:08 am

After Herbology, and a much needed shower, Lina, Keith, and Raven headed to the dining hall to play one of Lina's favorite card game, Dai Hin Min. Lina took out a pack of muggle playing cards that had a picture of buildings and in yellow writing said 'Las Vegas' on it.

"So, I forget the English name for it, but it's really fun," Lina began as she tried to explain the rules. "Ok, so, um, the rules are really simple: The person that has the three of clubs begins and must play this card, either by itself or as part of a combination. At your turn you must either pass (play no cards) or beat the previous play by playing a higher combination of the same number of cards. All plays are made by placing the cards face up in the centre of the table. This continues until all but one of the players pass in succession, no one being able or willing to beat the last play. The person who played highest, or all the others having passed, begins again by playing any card or combination of cards.

You are never under any obligation to beat a card or set of cards just because you are able to - you may always choose to pass and keep your high cards for a better opportunity. Passing does not prevent you from playing when your turn comes round again.

When it comes to the suits, from lowest to highest it goes: clubs, spades, hearts, and diamonds. As for the combinations, you can play pairs or triples, two pairs, straight flush and the four of a kind that switches the high cards low and low cards high...oh, in this game, the lowest card is a three and the highest card is a two. So, um, is there any questions?"

As she ended the quick explanation of the rules, Lina began to shuffle the playing cards. She looked at the two before her and hoped that they understood the rules, I really hope that they understand.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Playing Games with Friends Empty Re: Playing Games with Friends

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:23 am

Raven looked completely confused of the weird Muggle game Lina was attempting to teach them.My parents might like Muggles, but this is nutty.

"Yeah, I have one, which of these," Raven held up two cards of different suits, "which one of these is a club and which one is a spade? Not only that, but which of these cards," pointing at an Ace, King, Jack, and Queen card, "is higher?"
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:34 am

"Oh," Lina said aloud, that's what I get for assuming that everyone grew up around Muggles. "So, the numbers go 3-10, like normal, then after 10 it goes Jack, Queen, King, Ace, then, for this game, the two is the highest." As she explained which card goes after 10, she pointed to the cards respectfully.

"Between these two cards," Lina held up the ace of clubs and the ace of spades, "the clubs look like a clover, while the spades kind of looks like a spear head. If you're unsure, just remember clover for clubs and spear for spades. That's how my mom taught me anyway."
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 am

"Ah...I think I get it now," Raven said. She was still unsure what the clover looking thing and the upside-down heart with a line through it were called, but she figured that she would remember it as they actually played the game.

"So, I think I got anotha question, what is this straight flush thing you were talkin about?" Raven questioned the girl. She knew what a four-of-a-kind was, as were a pair, two pair, and the three-of-a-kind were, but this straight flush thing was beyond her.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:55 am

Lina smiled at the fact that Raven was asking a lot of questions, this must mean that she's interested in playing. "Well, a regular flush is when you have cards in the same suit, a straight flush is when you have cards in the same suit in the proper order."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Keith Domingo Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm

It was hard to hear amidst the clamor of students entering the Great Hall. As they walked by, Keith hoped that he didn't smell funny from any lingering dragon dung odor. The smell had followed him to his coven tower. He lathered and rinsed, repeating at least three times just to make sure the stench was gone.

Listening to the rules, Keith gained a fragmented understanding of the card game. He was familiar with "muggle" cards, but the part about two being the highest was pretty strange. He thought the game was a bit like war and poker mixed together, but it probably wasn't that simple. He'd probably figure out the confusing part about switching high and low later.

"How do you win the game?" asked Keith.
    Ella Farrell
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Ella Farrell Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Ellen laughed and plopped right down next to Raven. "It's easy," she said. "Haven't you guys ever- " She stopped. "Oh, right."

It was hard being one of the few that knew all about Muggles. She had been raised by some of the most loving, but yet awkward of all. But it was hard being a Pureblood in a Muggle household. "I, umm...well I've played before."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:42 am

Lina looked over at the strange girl that sat next to Raven, I wonder who she is. Looking at the girl's jacket, she noticed that it there was a single purple star, ah, she's an Åsgårdsreia. She gave a slight smile at the girl, "So, um, you know how to play the game? Do you want to play too?"

Remembering what he asked, Lina turned to Keith and said, "They way you win is to get rid of all of your cards first. The person to go out first is called the Dai-I mean, very rich man, the second person is rich man, and it goes all they way to the last person who is the very poor man."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:55 am

Something did not seem right about the girl that suddenly appeared next to Raven. Not only did Keith not know anyone from her coven other than his stepfather, but he became a bit uncomfortable with the fact that she sat with them here without invitation or introduction. Hopefully this wasn't some sort of spiteful trick.

After an awkward pause, Keith spoke up. "Okay, I think I get most of it now. I'll just figure the rest out as we go."

Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 am

Raven was stunned at how nonchalant Lina and Keith were being when the Åsgårdsreia girl randomly sat next to her. It also stunned her how Lina casually invited the girl to play, so what if she knows how ta play this queer Muggle game, what gives her the right ta just butt in and she doesn't even introduce herself?

Fed up that no one said anything, Raven took it upon herself to see where this girl stands with her. Looking to her side, she spoke, "Who are ya anyway?" Her Texan accent was somewhat more pronounced, but she tried to hide it as best she can. "My name is Raven, and that's Lina and Keith," she said as she pointed over Lina and Keith when she introduce them to the Åsgårdsreia girl.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I don't understand why she's talking about blood for, but maybe she's saying she's a Muggle-born...like Mom. Lina smiled at the girl while she shuffled the cards, "yes, I have siblings..two younger sisters actually. Their names are Constantia and Jacquelyn." She thought about her sisters at home and how excited she would be when her little sisters finally start coming to SWI.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Raven was getting annoyed with the Åsgårdsreia girl. She felt that the girl was a know-it-all and tried to butt her nose into other people's business, but decided to let it go because Lina and Keith seemed to be nice to her.

Raven hesitated a bit before answering Ellen's question about siblings. She was always made fun of, or they would say bad things about her mother when she answered. Since she wanted an excuse to battle it out with her, she answered the question honestly. "I have 6 brothers, but only three of them are old enough to go here."
    Ella Farrell
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Ella Farrell Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Isobella grinned. "All boys, huh? I couldn't imagine it. Meagan's the annoying one. She's 13- 2 years younger than me. Errr...was." Isobella looked down at herself. "I got in a little fight with the fire bird and now she's decided it upon herself to rearrange my life. Now I'm 11. I will be talking to SOMEONE about this. Jenny's 6. She's pretty fun to be around. And Ava, Ava is 2. She's the only Muggle-born in the house, seeing that we're not related by blood. I donno. I kinda feel bad for her and all. Well no. I feel bad for Jenny and Meagan. Meagan waited up all night on her 11th birthday for her Hogwarts letter. It never came." She sighed and started kicking her shoes together. "It's a messed up world out there. Hogwarts was much simpler then here."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:25 am

Keith left the talking to the ladies and listened, only speaking when offered candy. "I love M&M's." he said, munching on them as the girls continued.

"I'm an only child." he bluntly announced when Ella finished. He watched Lina shuffle the cards.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 am

OOC: RULES

I shuffled an actual deck of cards and had the real life Raven, Keith, and my brother pick a pile that was cut and shuffled 6 times. My brother's pick will be Isobella's cards, everyone else pick their own pile.

Out of fairness, everyone's deck is exposed here, but when you RP, it's hidden. YOU CANNOT SEE ANYONE'S DECK WHEN YOU ARE ROLE PLAYING!!! You can use what ever strategy you like in order to win, but please, DON'T CHEAT BY SAYING YOU CAN SEE (enter name here)'S CARDS. If you fail to follow these rules, I will ask OOC for you to leave the tread, if you don't, you will be God-Modded out (yes, I will kick you out...or the Flames will...if I ask nicely).

Your deck is separated by the highest to the lowest suit and from the lowest to the highest cards. Your posts must say which suit and card you put down: ex: Lina placed the 4 of hearts down at the top of the pile.

Keep the actual rules of the game in mind (pairs can only be beaten by other pairs, etc) and have fun.

Lina deck:
    Diamonds: Q
    Hearts: 4, 6, A
    Spades: 6, 7, J, K, A
    Clubs: 4, 6, 9, 2

Keith's deck:
    Diamonds: 10, J, K, A
    Hearts: 8, J, 2
    Spades: 3, 10, Q
    Clubs: 3, 8, A

Isobella's deck:
    Diamonds: 4, 5, 7, 2
    Hearts: 9, Q, K
    Spades: 4, 9
    Clubs: 5, J, Q, K

Raven's deck:
    Diamonds: 3, 6, 8, 9
    Hearts: 3, 5, 7, 10
    Spades: 8, 2
    Clubs: 5, 7, 10

If you have a hard time following the game, use a regular 52 card deck and follow along. REMEMBER, THIS TAKES PLAY ON WED, SEPT. 7TH, ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN YET, SO PLEASE, STAY IN CHARACTER.

Last edited by Evangelina Cromwell on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 am

Lina shuffled the deck of cards eight times for luck before she passed out the cards. Once the cards were completely passed out, 13 each, Lina waited for everyone to look at their cards before looking at her own. Yep, I got good cards, just like always, she smiled to herself.

Looking up at the players, she announced, "Ok, who ever has the lowest card goes first, then it goes to the right. Remember, you have to play the card."

~~~~~
    OOC: The order of the games goes: Keith, Raven, Ellen, then Lina
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 am

"I've got the three of clubs, so I get to go first." Keith said, laying down two cards. The other card was the three of spades. That seemed easy enough. He motioned for Raven to take her turn and arranged his remaining cards.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:42 am

Raven looked at the pair of 3s that was placed down, then looked at her own deck. So, I can only put down pairs...what do I put down? She wasn't sure if she could, but she put it down anyway, "Pair of higher 3s," she announced as placed the 3 of hearts and 3 of diamonds down on top of Keith's pair. Uncertainty got the better of her and she looked up at Lina, "I can do that right?"
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 am

Lina nodded at Raven's question, "yes, as long as you play the higher card, you can do that." Lina then faced Ellen, "ok, it's your turn."
    Ella Farrell
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Ella Farrell Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 am

"Woah. This one's a bit different." She smiled over to Lina. "But, because I have to make the cards go up, can I play... " She pulled out the 4 of diamonds and the 4 of spades. "I can't do any threes."
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Lina looked at her own cards, then at the cards that were placed down. If I put those down, I'll get a skip out of everyone, but if I do that... She thought about different strategies, but finally ended with, "Pass. Keith, it's your turn again."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Just to see if anyone else had anymore pairs, Keith laid down another pair, the eight of hearts and clubs. "Um, here. I guess." Keith said, unsure if it was a good strategy or not.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Raven placed the higher pair of 8s down, it's been working for me so far. "'K, your turn, chica."
    Ella Farrell
    Ella Farrell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Ella Farrell Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 am

She quickly placed down a the five of clubs and the five of diamonds. "Your turn," she told Evangelina.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:31 pm

"I'll pass again," Lina said with a soft sigh, just wait, they'll see the awesome I'm about to pull off

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content