The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

+2
Annie Krum
Harpreet Bashagwani
6 posters

Astronomy Class Proper

Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 45

Astronomy Class Proper - Page 2 Empty Re: Astronomy Class Proper

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:15 pm

Smiling in the darkness, Harpreet said, "It is quite all right, my dear. I can understand how one can become disoriented in the tunnels and not notice the directions posted here and there." Her smile vanished as she asked to examine the coven ranking on the girl's jacket. "Perhaps 10 points from Mórrígan will help you remember where we are in the future."

She points to the other three students. "You will need to speak to one of the others for the assignment." Harpreet's smile returned. "I am certain someone will help." She turned to walk away then stopped. "There is hot chocolate in the back if you feel cold, my dear." She said over her shoulder as she walked away, "Enjoy your viewing."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Kerry heard the exchange between Lina and Professor Bashagwani, and grimaced when he heard coven points getting deducted. "Oooh, burn," he mumbled, then nodded to Annie. "I'm thinking, we can finish this up, then I can show you some other stuff in the sky if you're really interested. After all, we don't finish here until midinght, and there's music and . . ." He made the next words sound grave and dangerous, "hot chocolate."

Kerry stood up. "I'm going to write over here on the study stands," he said, indications the small platforms around the railing. "I never was good with writing while sitting." He nodded to the back of the dome. "I think there were dates on the charts, too; I'll check." He winked. "Back in a bit."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Annie watched Kerry wander off and then got to work. She really didn't want to waste the entire night with this lesson hanging over her head--there were better things she could think of doing under the stars than answering questions.

She finished the entire paper before he returned, so she left the reclining chair to find the professor and hand it in.
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Harpreet saw a part of her "couple" approach her, handing in her questions. "Oh, already, dear?" She looked them over quickly, then said, "Very well. You are free to return to your tower, or . . ." He used her eyes to indicate the tower, "You are very welcome to say and star gaze, enjoy the drinks, and even ask more questions if you like."

She smiled warming to the girl, believing she knew what she was really thinking about. "Oh, by the way; there are blankets in that cabinet over there--" Harpreet nodded towards it. "You might want to bundle up if you are going to sit and watch the magic of the heavens unfold." Her grin grew even broader when she noticed the girl's eyes light up . . ..

OOC Once More:

If you would like to submit your questions and answers through a PM, you can. Harpreet will post those PMed to her with the student's name and her grade.

Thank you.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 pm

Lina groaned as things seemed to be against her lately. First, she missed her flying class due to being knocked out by tree branch, then she failed herself by not being able to change a bean into a complete beetle, and now, she failed her coven by getting 10 points taken away. Atashi wa bakada, she thought to herself.

Lina looked at the other students that the professor was pointing to. She noticed that two of them were working together already, but saw that the other was by himself. As she walked closer to him, she noticed that it was Keith. When she was close enough to be in hearing range, she finally spoke, "um, hi." Looking over at the board, she noticed the questions listed:
    Constellations are also known as:
    Why is the universe like a time machine?
    When were the current Institute Star Charts created?
    The Summer Triangle is primarily located in what three constellations?
    Which three stars make up the points of the Summer Triangle?
    The Great Square is found in what two constellations?
    Who created the current Institute Star Charts?
    Which civilizations were home to the first great astronomers?

She wrote them down, then took out her textbook. "Don't worry, I know most of the answers on the top of my head, I just have to double check in what the textbook says."

(OOC~ Atashi wa bakada ≈ I'm so dumb)
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 pm

"Thank you, Professor," Annie smiled. "I would love to be able to stay a while and watch the night sky." She found her way to the cabinets where the blankets were held and grabbed one, returning back to the reclining chairs with it.

She spread the large blanket over both chairs and snuggled into the seat, waiting for Kerry.

(OOC: I've PM'ed my answers to the professor for grading.)
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Though he was getting better at writing, the cramps still came on. Kerry shook out his hand, looking to the forests below as he did. Man, can't believe how high this is. 300 feet was a long way up. But for some reason he didn't mind the height here. His mind was elsewhere.

He finished up his answers and checked them over three times. He watched Lina walk over towards the Great Silent One and look over his paper. She's probably getting the questions, he thought. It was fine with him. They were still feeling each other out. He hadn't noticed the blond that had been in their History class and wondered what happened to her. Maybe when we get to dueling we'll all beat the hell out of each other and end up in the hospital. He grinned thinking about those dumbasses at The 'Warts doing that.

Satisfied with his results, he found the professor and handed the questions in. Having already noticed Annie back in her chair with a rather large--and warm looking--blanket, Kerry summoned up two large mugs of The Drink of Death Eaters, returned to his chair, and got under the blankets with Annie.

OOC . . . questions PMed in!
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Raven didn't notice that she over slept. It was still light out when she rested her eyes, but when she awoke, it was way past dinner time. 10:30 was what her watch read when she was in her coven tower. She ran as fast as she could to the Astronomy Tower in 10 minutes flat. It took her another few minutes to run up the stairs, two at a time. She busted through the door at 10:45 on the dot.

She was way out of breath as she closed the door behind her. Being silent for once, she moved to a secluded part of the classroom. "I am so sorry I'm late Ma'am," she breathed out, hopefully she won't ask why I'm late... I know I ain't that lucky.
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:58 pm

The sound of the door crashing open echoed throughout the dome. Harpreet looked the panting girl over, and based upon her experience with nearly 10 years of teaching class, could guess at her exertion.

"Oh, I can see you are, my dear," she said sweetly. "I'm certain you'll be more prompt for the next class." She looked over her coven ranking. "Please speak with another student to get the questions for tonight's lesson, and have them completed by midnight." She began to walk away, cleared about 4 meters, then said over her shoulder, "10 points from Ceridwen, by the way."
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:53 am

Raven walked over to Lina and Keith, "mind if I join you?" Without waiting for an answer, she slid next to them and took out her quill, ink, and some paper. "Did I miss anythin?" Looking over at Lina's paper, she wrote down the questions. Raven looked at the questions and started to answer the ones she knew.
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 am

Quietly greeting Lina when she arrived, Keith said nothing else in fear of saying something stupid. The darkness of the observatory would hide how red he was turning. He copied the questions down as Lina did. Raven arrived soon after.

"Good evening. Yeah, sit with us." he greeted Raven. Snapping out of the mental haze he had entered when Lina started talking to him, he remembered the spell that he was about to use the moment before that.

"Here's some more light. Lumos mollis rutila." he said. Red light washed over the star chart table that they had gathered around. He then explained for them the significance of using red light at night since they had missed that part of the lecture.

As for the rest of the things the professor described, the lesson was a bit over his head. He started getting nervous that he would fall behind as Kerry and Annie handed their completed papers in. A repeat of what happened in History of Magic was not something he wanted to consider, but in response to the company that he now had, his mind kicked into gear and into the right direction.

"I remember the answers to most of these except for the ones about the constellations. I'm don't really know a lot except for the dippers, Draco, and Orion's Belt." He wrote down the answers that he recalled on his paper.
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Lina flipped to the constellation section of her textbook. She looked back at the questions that had anything to do with the constellations, wrote them on another piece of paper, then faced the paper towards Keith. "Ok, that means that you're stuck on the questions: Constellations are also known as; The Summer Triangle is primarily located in what three constellations?; Which three stars make up the points of the Summer Triangle?; and The Great Square is found in what two constellations?" Looking up at Keith for reassurance, "is that right?"

Looking over at Raven, Lina asked, "are there any questions that you're not sure of?"
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Looking at the other two, Raven replied, "nah, I'm good." Writing down her answers she somewhat jokingly continued, "the benefit of having three older brothers that all took this class are that they come home and teach ya what they learned."

She looked up at Keith, "I wouldn't worry too much about the constellations, it's all in da book."
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Keith nodded at Lina. Writing his answers beneath the dark red glow he had tapped on with his wand, he wondered if this was what it was like in the darkrooms that people used to need when developing photographs. As he answered the question about the universe being like a time machine, he made a connection. Huh. The sky is like an old photograph. It always is. he thought, feeling proud at this discovery. He kept it to himself, not wanting to sound like the know-it-all Brainiac he was labeled as in elementary school.

"I think I heard the stuff about light from the stars on the History Channel." he said to the girls. That probably sounded nerdy, too. he thought, but it was true. In Hawaii, he used to come home from school to see his dad sleeping on the couch with the television on. His dad would wake up to see Keith either watching what was on or doing his homework on the glass table next to the couch. Keith re-centered himself, no longer wanting to think about the past.

"Let's find the Summer Triangle." he said, looking down at the chart and up at the sky a few times.

Last edited by Keith Domingo on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Keith Domingo
    Keith Domingo
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Keith Domingo Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:36 pm

"Oh. Nevermind, that was easy." he paused to write down some more answers. "Um, which one is the Great Square? That's the last one I have." he motioned at the sky with his hand and shivered a little. The cold was making his hands shake as he flipped through his book. Keith then decided to get a cup of hot chocolate when he turned in his questions.

"Pegasus... there's another one?" he asked, a little confused.

OOC ...Answers have been PM'd. Gotta get ready for work! Smile
    Evangelina Cromwell
    Evangelina Cromwell
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Evangelina Cromwell Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:09 pm

"Oh, that one's easy," Lina chimed as she flipped to the page with all of the star constellations were at. She pointed to a star with in the Pegasus constellation, then dragged her finger in a shape of a square, and stopped back onto the first star. "See, the box I made was the Great Square. As you're noticed, it went through Pegasus, and this," she pointed to another cluster of stars, "constellation. This one right here, as the book states, is Andromeda."

(OOC~ My sinuses are starting to kill me. Gonna log off for the day. Have a great one guys...oh, I PMed my answers.)

Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:14 pm

With about 30 minutes to go Harpreet clapped her hands and announced, "Not much time left, children! Please begin to finish up; the class will end at Midnight!"

OOC--Or, in real time, 45 minutes.
    Raven Whitefeather
    Raven Whitefeather
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Raven Whitefeather Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:59 pm

<<ooc:pmed my answers with 2 minutes to spare>>

Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Harpreet accepted the last set of questions from the blond girl who arrived an hour late. "Thank you for coming," she said to all, shutting off her music select. "Class is now over for this evening. I will have grades posted outside my office tomorrow before lunch." She raised her voice as if calling from a great distance. "See you next week! On Time!!"

See watched everyone gathering their things and leaving. As the door shut behind the last student she tapped her wand against a switch and the dome began to close. All and all not bad, she thought. Now to get some sleep. And see if there are any gems within this group.

OOC--The Thread is now locked. Student questions and answers will be posted in this thread tomorrow with grades, and coven points will be updated.

Thank you.
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Harpreet Bashagwani
    Professor
    Professor

Astronomy Class Proper - Page 2 Empty Final Scores for assignments

Post  Harpreet Bashagwani Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 am

(In order papers were turned in; Instructor's comments in orange):

Annie Krum
    Constellations are also known as stars which an asterism. Correct.

The universe is like a time machine because the sky and all of the light that we see comes from a point in our past. Correct.

The current Institute Star Charts were created over three hundred years ago. Correct.

The Summer Triangle is primarily located in the three constellations of Lyra, Cygnus, and Aquila. Correct.

The three stars that make up the points of the Summer Triangle are Vega, Deneb, and Altair. Correct.

The Great Square is found in the two constellations of Andromeda and Pegasus. Correct.

The current Institute Star Charts were created by Astria Blomqvist of Coven Cernunnos. Correct.

The first great astronomers were the Egyptians, Babylonians and Chinese, followed by the Persians and Indians. Correct.

Total correct: 8. Grade O and 25 points for Coven Cernunnos.

Keith Domingo
    Asterisms Correct.

It takes time for light from stars to reach Earth, so we are always looking into the past. Correct.

1683 Correct.

Aquila, Cygnus, and Lyra. Correct.

Altair, Deneb, and Vega. Correct.

Pegasus and Andromeda. Correct.

Astria Blomqvist, a Cernunnos. Correct.

The Egyptians, Babylonians, and the Chinese. Correct.

Total correct: 8. Grade O and 25 points for Coven Bloeddewedd.

Kerry Malibey
    Constellations are also known as: Asterisms. Correct.

Why is the universe like a time machine? Because of the time it takes for light to reach us, everything we see started towards us at some time in our past; we are almost never seeing anything current. Correct.

From 1683 to 1692. Correct!

Altair, Deneb, and Vega. Correct.

Alpha Lyra (Vega), Alpha Cygni (Deneb), Alpha Aquilae (Altair). Correct.

Pegasus and Andromeda. Correct.

Astria Blomqvist from Coven Cernunnos. Correct.

Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese, Persians and Indians. Correct.

Total correct: 8. Grade O and 25 points for Coven Cernunnos.

Evangelina Cromwell
    Constellations are also known as: A constellation is an internationally defined area of the celestial sphere. While this is technically correct, it's not the answer I needed. Incorrect.

Why is the universe like a time machine? The universe is like a time machine, through time dilation. Time dilation is defined that the closer you travel at the speed of light, the slower time travels. Similarly, it takes time for things to finally catch up; if a star is 2,000 light years away, it’ll take 2,000 years to reach you. The second half of your answer is correct, which the first half was never mentioned in my lecture and is irrelevant. The first half of your answer refers to the Special Theory of Relativity as created by the Muggle physicist Einstein, and relates to measurements in inertial frames of reference. And while time dilation does create something of a time machine effect, said effect relates only to the frame of reference outside of the point of acceleration or gravity.

Also, even if someone is accelerating towards the star Antares at .95c, creating an internal gamma (γ) of 3.202563 relative to a planet they are passing, the light from Antares still took the same time to reach both points as the speed of light, c, is invariant and, according to Special Relativity, is the same for all inertial observers regardless of the state of motion of the source. The only difference in their observations would be a blue-shifting of Antares from the point of the person accelerating at .95c.

I will count this correct; in the future please give only what is required.

When were the current Institute Star Charts created? Although “current” is a loose term, some, if not all, of the Institute’s Start Charts were created in between 1683-1692 by Astria Blomqvist. Correct. Are we using The Doctor's statement of "Time is Relative" to benchmark "current"? *smiles*

The Summer Triangle is primarily located in what three constellations? Three brilliant stars form this stellar right triangle making it our best heavenly landmark in the August night sky. Vega high above and its western point appears the brightest of the three. Deneb, also high above and to the east of Vega, appears the dimmest. Altair shines below in the south, forming the most distant point of this great triad.
    These three stunning stars are an unofficial star group or asterism that link the three constellations. Lyra, Cygnus the Swan and Aquila the Eagle. This Summer Triangle lies high above, over the Milky Way that now sweeps across the heavens from north to south.
    When one ponders upon this heavenly trinity, a transformational gateway appears. The qualities of this gateway, when personally activated lead one on the path of the gods to divine unity. Correct.

Which three stars make up the points of the Summer Triangle? As mentioned above, the three stars that make up the points of the Summer Triangle are Vega, Deneb, and Altair. Correct.

The Great Square is found in what two constellations? The Great Square is found in the constellations of Andromeda and Pegasus Correct.

Who created the current Institute Star Charts? The Institute’s Star Charts were created by Astria Blomqvist, who was part of the Coven Cernunnos. Correct.

Which civilizations were home to the first great astronomers? The oldest catalogues of stars and constellations are from Old Babylonian astronomy, beginning in the Middle Bronze Age. The Graeco-Roman empires were the next to use the science of astronomy, since 3-4 century BC. The Chinese were the first of the Eastern people to use astronomy, as they differ from Western astronomy. Correct.

Total correct: 7. Grade E and 20 points - 10 points (for arriving late) = 10 points for part of Coven Mórrígan.

Raven Whitefeather
    Constellations are also known as: Constellations were known by ancient people as Star Pictures. While this is technically correct for some cultures, it's not the answer I needed. Incorrect.

The universe is like a time machine because we can see how the stars were like, depending on how far away they are. All stars are different in distance and the closest is 4 light years away, that means if you pointed a red laser light at it, it would take 4 years for that light to reach that star, if the sun died suddenly it would take 8 minutes for us to realize this since the sun is 8 light minutes away from us. This law also applies to distant galaxies, we have no idea what the galaxy looks like currently since the light left those galaxies millions of years ago. When we look at the universe, we are actually seeing the history of the universe. Correct.

The Institute’s Star Charts were created 300 years ago. Correct.

Lyra, Cygnus, and Aquila Correct.

Deneb, Vega, and Altair Correct.

Andromeda and Pegasus Correct.

Astria Blomqvist Correct.

Greek and Roman were the first to truly come up with the first great astronomers Incorrect. Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese and Persians came first. Be punctual for the next lecture, Miss Whitefeather; there is plenty of time to sleep afterwards.

Total correct: 6. Grade A and 15 points - 10 points (for arriving late) = 5 points for Coven Ceridwen.

Thank you for your time, students. Anyone who would like to discuss their telescope purchase may contact me over the weekend. See you next week!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:56 am