The Salem Witches' Institute

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome!

When registering, please create a name for your character and input that as a username. Spaces are allowed. Relations to canon characters are not. If you are unsure, read this first: http://theswi.forumotion.com/t61-creating-a-character-at-swi

Also, please keep in mind that this forum is a FREE ads based forum. All graphics/ads found under the title and forum buttons ARE NOT part of the SWI forum and will redirect you away from this page.

Thanks!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Salem Witches' Institute, the premiere American school of magic located within the World of Harry Potter. An original role play for creative minds.

SWI is officially open. Registration is ongoing for all incoming 1st Years.
Current Role Play Date: 14 October, 2011. Day: Friday. Time: 9:00 AM. Weather: Mid 50's with a slight breeze from the east.
Orientation is set up in the Atrium. Please visit to participate.

4 posters

Wincing The Night Away.

Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 23

Wincing The Night Away. Empty Wincing The Night Away.

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 pm

The dinner had been good, but sitting up for over and hour had made his head spin like crazy, and Kerry was glad to be back in his bed resting. He'd never had a concussion before--well, he'd never had a broken collarbone or dislocated shoulder before, either. Even since coming here it seems like it's been one "First Time for Everything" after another, he thought.

Kerry laughed and reached for Annie, who was sitting just to his right. "I think I'm going to move out of the coven tower and get a bed here," he said softly. "I won't have to go as far when I get hurt."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Character Age : 24

Wincing The Night Away. Empty Re: Wincing The Night Away.

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Annie giggled and kissed his hand. "I think Nurse Coraline will probably have a plaque made in our honor."

She gazed at him sprawled out on the bed and the thought occurred to her that this wouldn't be his first accident on a broom. "I'll probably be chased out soon," she whispered. "And you probably need your rest. I shouldn't sit here keeping you up."
    Jessica Kishna
    Jessica Kishna
    Professor
    Professor

Character Age : 53

Post  Jessica Kishna Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Wandering in as quietly as she could, Jessica slid around the partition. "Excuse me, may I have a moment?" She noticed the sudden look of apprehension on both their faces. So my lesson from last week stuck with them, she thought. Good.

Jessica retrieved a chair from the next bed and pulled it over, sitting on the same side as Annie, but closer to the foot. "I believe Nurse Gallagher will be coming around shortly," she said, ensuing the "Nurse Coraline" title that most others preferred to use. "I wanted to find out how you were feeling, Kerry..." She allowed the news to sink in before adding, "and then speak with you about something else."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Kerry was trying hard to imagine why Professor Kishna was here. And why she was interested in his current well being. But you don't question why the instructors do what they do, he thought. They just . . . do.

"Other than being dizzy and stuff like that, I'm fine, Professor." Kerry winced when he moved his right arm just a little too fast. "And I'm a little sore, too." He managed a brave smile. "I suppose I'll feel better in the morning."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Annie knew why Jessica was there. Kerry still hadn't shown any signs of acknowledging anything that happened after leaving Emma with a dementor on his tail, and she was afraid it might come to him tonight in his dreams.

She sat back in her chair, watching Kerry's face intently for any signs of stress...
    Jessica Kishna
    Jessica Kishna
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Jessica Kishna Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Jessica watched both students closely. I suspect that Annie understands why I'm here, she thought, but as Kerry was out cold when Vickie and Isis brought him in... "First off, I want to thank you, Kerry." Jessica tried to relax, but after a long day of chasing Death Eaters on two different continents, Jessica was far from able to relax.

"You likely don't know what happened--since I'm positive it was all a blur, but your intervention..." Jessica didn't know how to put this without coming out and saying it. "You helped save us: myself, and Madeline Palmescoff. The Death Eater... he was ready to curse us both."

She cleared her throat and moved right on. "Before you start hearing rumors, I asked Coraline if I could tell you this last." She looked Kerry in the eye and calmly told him, "The Death Eater you hit with your broom... he died." Jessica set herself with a deep breath. "He would have died as it is, but in this case, it was your action that brought his life to an end."

Jessica scrutinized Kerry's face, looking for a reaction. "Do you understand what I'm saying, Kerry?"
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

It wasn't that Kerry didn't understand, but more like . . . it was more like he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I think so, Professor," he said finally. He looked to Annie for a few seconds, then back to Professor Kishna. "I killed him, right? I hit him and killed him, and that's why I fell off my broom." He turned his head a little to the left, as if looking for something. "Right?"
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Annie was uneasy when Professor Kishna went on to explain further. She wanted to jump up and comfort him but thought better of it as she caught Kishna out of the corner of her eye. She'll probably turn me into a bean just to get me out of the way if I move.

Jessica Kishna
    Jessica Kishna
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Jessica Kishna Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Jessica nodded her conformation. "Kerry, Nurse Gallagher will be along shortly. She's the Institute's consoler, and if you have difficulty..." Suddenly Jessica's demeanor changed. "Oh, damn. Kerry, please hear me out. I'm not used to giving advice in this fashion. It's..." She smiled, but there was little warmth there. "What happened to you could end up being quite traumatic--particularly once word gets around the school.

"But I reminded a student this morning that you should never apologize for who you are; by the same token, don't imagine what happened to be wrong." She leaned forward, her eyes blazing. "When you happened upon us, Maddy was already cursed and dying; I had almost been hit with a curse as well, and it's very possible if you hadn't come along when you did I may not have been able to react quickly enough protect us both."

Jessica reached out and lightly touched Kerry's leg under the blanket. "Thank you, Kerry. I want you to know, should you be unable to speak with Coraline--or if you are unable to speak with Professor Semplen--come see me." Jessica sat back, her hands in her lap. "I may not be able to offer much sympathy, but I may be able to help you understand why you're unsure of your feelings." She raised an eyebrow. "Is that okay?"
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Nearly 15 seconds passed before Kerry nodded. "Sure, Professor," he said slowly. "I promise, if I need to speak to someone, I'm come see you if I can't find anyone else."

As Jessica looked ready to leave, Kerry threw in one last question: "Professor, if I hadn't hit that guy, would Professor Palmescoff had died?"
    Jessica Kishna
    Jessica Kishna
    Professor
    Professor

Post  Jessica Kishna Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Jessica didn't need to think about the answer to that: she already knew it. "Madeline may still die," she said, but her voice suddenly had a softer edge to it, "but you at least gave her a chance to survive this long." She stood and nodded to both students. "Annie, enjoy the evening; Kerry, get well, and soon." She then turned and walked away with no further comments.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Annie watched Professor Kishna walk away and then turned her attention to Kerry.

"Kerry, are you okay?" she asked, wondering if she should go get the orderly or if he would be able to make it until Nurse Coraline got there.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Kerry turned to Annie and nodded. "Yeah, I guess so," he said. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "I don't know how to feel, Annie. It was something that just happened so fast--" He resisted the urge to shrugged because he hurt when he did.

"I guess in a couple of days I'm gonna to feel a lot different about this, but right now . . ." He lay back slowly and sighed. "Is it always like this? Is this how you witches and wizards are--what you have happen to you all the time?" He turned his head and smiled. "I've lived more in the last few months than I did in 5 years."

Kerry took a deep breath and let it out slowly, feeling the soreness throughout his body as he did. "Not that I mind I can do all sorts of funky stuff now, but getting to normal would be good right now." And he laughed.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Annie watched as he laughed and thought that his normal was exactly what she'd been trying to get him to understand didn't exist anymore, since their first meeting in the bookshop so long ago.

Finally, he was beginning to comprehend what a huge sacrifice he was making being in a school of magic, being a wizard...and being with her. It only took getting chased by a dementor and ramming his broom into a Death Eater in the middle of a small war to get him to that point...but here we are.

She picked up her feet and hugged her legs tightly to her chest. He needs some time to sort things out...and I'll just have to be patient and accept the consequences.

"I agree, Kerry," she whispered into her knees."You need some normal back in your life."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Suddenly Kerry chuckled. "Well . . . wizarding normal, maybe." He closed his eyes, and when they opened it was as if the light had come on. "I'm a wizard; I have a girlfriend who is a witch; we both do magic; I spent all day flying around on a broom and I had to rescue my partner from something that looked like the Grim Reaper; and I killed someone, but I shouldn't feel bad because someone else was going to kill them if I didn't."

He closed his eyes and chuckled a little louder this time. "Oh, and where most schools have an entrance exam, we got tortured by a spirit that told me purple is a good color for me--" His eyes smiled up at Annie. "If I was a girl . . . which I was for about 10 minutes."

Kerry sighed loudly. "Oi . . . the normal I knew got left back in Cardiff two months ago." He slowly held out his hand for Annie to take. "To paraphrase Vic Mackey: 'Good normal and bad normal are gone for the night. This is a different kind of normal'." He nodded. "I can dig it."
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Annie took his hand, hope swelling in her chest. "Can you, Kerry?" She got up from her chair and sat on the edge of his bed, facing him, and wrapped his arm around her waist so his hand was on her back. She ran her fingers absentmindedly up and down his arm while gazing into his eyes.

"It's really too much to ask one person to accept, and I can only hope that's how you really feel...and aren't just trying to be brave." She searched his eyes, desperate to know his real thoughts.

"Kerry, do you know why I wanted to visit Denna alone at Memory's end?"

Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

"I can see that I'm still sort of hanging onto the past," Kerry said softly. "I know what Deanna said, and I've been getting better about not acting all 'Oooooh, magic!' and stuff . . ." He loved the feel of Annie's fingers on his arm.

"But you know what? Today did feel pretty normal to me. I wasn't trying to be a hero or special: I wanted to help, because . . . back in my old world, I never did." He nodded slowly. "And, yeah: I could have died. And so could have Emma if I didn't do anything--or even if I had done something."

He snickered again, feeling a slight tickle. "And I don't now how to be brave; I was being pretty stupid, in hindsight. But . . ." He rolled his eyes in the direction Jessica had gone a few moments before. "I think someone was trying to tell me, 'Don't worry about it'. So I won't." He smiled warmly, gazing up into Annie's eyes. "I try to be smarter next time.

"As for why you saw Deanna Saturday--" Kerry slightly pursed his lips and shook his head. "There's a reason you went alone, and I'm good with it. Only tell me if you really want me to know." He finally gave in and shrugged, wincing when his damaged right shoulder complained. "That's just another part of normal around here, Sweetie."

Last edited by Kerry Malibey on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Annie shuddered when he spoke about dying. It was not something she wanted to think about..ever. She breathed deeply and said, "I always want you to know everything, Kerry. I'll never keep anything from you--ever, and you're right; there was a reason why I wanted to see her alone.

"You asked if this is how it always is, if this is how we always are. The simple answer is...no."

Annie looked down at his arm draped across her lap. "I went to Denna because I was convinced that I was the one that ruined your chances at a normal future. She convinced me otherwise, and I believe her--and you, but if you stay with me," she stared deeply into his eyes, hoping he would understand. "If you stay with me, you will never have normal."
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Kerry thought about that last statement: "You will never have normal." But what did I have before? he thought. No friends; family not really speaking to each other; feeling at times like my mother resented me; and always feeling out of place in Cardiff.

No, when Kerry thought about normal--what he had as normal before getting the letter to Hogwarts, and then transferring here--then comparing it to what he had now . . . there was no comparison. Normal, to put it bluntly, sucked hard.

And though this was dangerous, it was a hell of a lot better than slowly dying every day.

The answer was easy. "Okay, Annie," he said. "So what's the down side?" And then he laughed loud enough that it hurt his damaged collarbone.
    Annie Krum
    Annie Krum
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Annie Krum Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:01 pm

She saw him wince while he laughed and instantly felt bad. "You'll find out if you stick around," she said and winked at him. "But, no more laughing or I'm going to get kicked out of here faster than you can say Merlin."
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Character Age : 45

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Coraline smiled as she overheard Annie's last sentence. Kids were so resilient. Throw a little thing like a dementor chase or lopping the head off a Death Eater their way, and you'll find them in hysterics a few hours later...like nothing happened at all.

When she thought about the day they'd all been through, and poor Maddie upstairs...she suddenly wanted to join in and tease them both.

"Yes you will, Missy," she grinned at Annie. "My patient looks to be in good spirits though, so I may let you slide.

"How are you feeling, Kerry? Is the pain manageable?"
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 pm

"Oh, yeah, Nurse Coraline." Kerry sat up just a bit so he didn't look like he was suffering too much. "The shoulder and collarbone are okay . . ." He touched the side of his head. "I'm hoping this feels better tomorrow, though."

He asked the question he'd been wondering about since getting in. "Are you going to let me go back to the tower tonight? Or am I staying here?" He glanced to Annie for just a second. "I mean, I was able to go to the announcement, so I just wondered . . .."
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Coraline watched as Annie slid off the bed and into the chair next to Kerry.

"I would like to let you go back to your coven," Coraline smiled at Annie and then Kerry. "But I'm afraid you might be in for a rough night, and I'd rather have you here where I can keep an eye on you."

She sank into the chair at the foot of Kerry's bed and sighed. "Jessica told me she was here. From what she described of your meeting, I gather you don't remember much of what happened?

"Annie was in the triage when you were brought in. Jessica was positive she saw and heard everything." She glanced over at the young girl sitting in the chair opposite her. "I'm sorry you had to see that, Annie. That, on top of your dueling practice, had to have made it a very hard day. But," she winked at Kerry, "She didn't need a single draught."

Coraline laughed, noticing how good the release felt.
    Kerry Malibey
    Kerry Malibey
    1st Year Student
    1st Year Student

Post  Kerry Malibey Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

"I knew Annie would be okay," Kerry said. His smile said everything about what he was feeling. "You know, this thing with the Death Eater . . . it happened so fast. Everyone apparated right in front of me and--"

When Kerry tried to think about the event, to his is was all a blur. "I didn't see the guy until I was right there. I was going maybe--70 kilometers an hour?" He nodded his head minutely side to side instead of shrugging. "I couldn't have done anything if I wanted. It was all over in like a second or two." He sighed. "Maybe that's why I don't remember much.

"I do know this--" He let his voice drop slightly, as if sharing a secret. "I don't remember hitting the guy. It was like there was something there and--" Kerry's eyes rolled back to stare at the ceiling. "Then I was flying. I don't even remember hitting the ground."

Kerry moved around just a bit to get comfortable in the bed. "I can understand spending the night. It's the concussion. You can't take chances with it."
    Coraline Gallagher
    Coraline Gallagher
    Head Nurse

Post  Coraline Gallagher Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 pm

"Honestly, I'm not so much concerned about the bump on your noggin then the dreams you may have over how you got it." She watched him carefully to see his reaction.

"Denna mentioned something about it, actually. It's under her orders that I keep you tonight." She turned her attention to Annie. "I'm on the fence about offering Annie a place to crash for the night as well. The bed next to you seems to be vacant at the moment."

Coraline stood and patted Kerry's leg. "What do you think, Red?" She smiled brightly, exhausted but glad she was able to visit with them both before she retired for some much needed shut-eye. "Are you up for some company tonight?"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm